back boiler

Marto

Hi all,

what are peoples opinions on putting a back boiler in an open fire. are they a good idea, would the water tank need to be very close to the boiler or ...

Look at an intergrated fire firstly, a bit more expensive but cheaper to run.

with regard to natural circulation, a distance of over 20ft will strain it as the water will began to cool.

we put in a back boiler when doing up the house 2 years ago.

there was a normal fireplace there and a new small oil stove in the kitchen.
best thing we ever did. we upgraded our water tank also - not sure what size but double the normal. We light a fire most nights. and it keeps the house nicely warm , but not tropic. And the next morning - tons of hot water for the power shower - super.

it will have to be an open system to take a back boiler - and talk to your plumber about "pitching", thats where the hot water gets pumped out into the expansion tank. The pipe work needs to be A1.

k

Hi,
I am considering getting a stove with a back boiler and wondering if it's more economical. What about getting a supply of cheap wood and storing it?
Any problems integrating with your other water system, eg gas boiler?

Not usually an issue but if its a seled central heating system it will need to be made an open system not a big job for a plumber but a bit of work involved.
Stoves operate at 70-80% eff open fires operate at 15-20% and stoves stop heat loss up the chimney when not in use no brainer imho but I sell stoves so I do have an agenda.

Looking at the Hwam Monet, which can work with a pressurised system apparently. Expensive to get started though.

Havn't seen that they can work in a sealed plumbed system Shei but I,m sure it could be done. Main problem is in pressure relief if a very large fire was going and the hot water wasn't being used up quick enough.

Hwam are pricey but a top quality designer stove. We fitted a dry one over the christmas which despite a few unforeseen problems with the flue eventually came out great. the owners are very impressed with heat output and flame picture.

Back