Bachelor of Science (Hons)/ Diploma in Information Technology

nigel27

Has any completed or currently involved in the Bachelor of Science (Hons)/ Diploma in Information Technology course being offered by DCU through Oscail.ie distance learning programme. Is it a good course? Are the modules ok?

Tried it some years back...found it very very difficult....gave up and went to Oz and later did a Masters instead..

I would advise you to do the introductory module part first.. gives you an idea of what the course is about! The course sounds straight forward. but I have say it is diffcult..
good luck

I completed the DCU Distance Learning IT Course course at Diploma level (way back in 1988, when it was first offered - other commitments meant I had to leave it then. The course is good and well structured. You do need to be very disciplined about organising your study time at home. I got assignments in each subject every 8 weeks or so. There was always a tutor available too and tutorials on a Saturday.
It is as 'tough' as any full time IT course.

hi nigel27,

I started this course in 1998 and got my BSc in 2003..

I had done a Fas course in Computer Programming that gave me exemptions for the programming element of the Diploma so I can't really comment on that part..however,some observations:

1) I found this course very focused on theory. This is a good thing in my book in that you get to understand concepts that you'll come across in real life.

2) There were compulsory Maths modules - I had only done pass maths for the Leaving and was wary of this..however, I found the course material very good in that things were explained incrementally and you really got a grasp of WHY you were doing something..

3) In my last year, DCU introduced online learning - ie having remote tutorials via the Oscail webiste..the number of group tutorials were reduced..this proved very unpopular and the college, to be fair to them, provided extra tutorials. I'm not sure how far this online model has progressed or whether they expanded it in the years following 2003..someone who has graduated since then will have to fill you in on this..

hope this helps..
M.

Back