Baby left in car on his own

Ceist Beag

This story really annoys me. What sort of parents leave their baby alone in a car? Obviously the story is about the theft and how lucky the parents are but it's incredibly irresponsible of them to put their child at risk like that.

Whilst I agree in principle, it's hard to criticise without knowing the full facts. A simple example, I was cutting the grass in front of my house last night, I watched my neighbour put a baby into her car across the road, then go back inside to get the 2nd baby(twins) and bring that one out and load it up. Realistically she may not be able to carry both at the same time so if she is on her own, what else could she do. In the 10-20 seconds the baby was alone in the car, someone could have jumped in it and tried to start the car up and drive off, but as I said, how else was she going to manage it?

That's fair enough if someone wants to steal the car but the baby itself could be snatched in that 10-20 secs. She could wheel the buggy out with both kids in it. Then take one out and put it in the baby seat and then the other. Then put the buggy in the boot and away she goes.

I think a baby died in Australia a few years back when a car was stolen with a baby in it and the thieves abandoned the car and the baby died from heat exposure or something like that.

Newport is a tiny, sleepy village/town. It's the kind of place you feel very safe. I imagine the parent/s only left the baby for a very short time. They may well have been trying to manage more than one child or the baby might have been asleep or something like that. The person at fault here is the person who stole the car, not the parents.

She could wheel the buggy out with both kids in it. Then take one out and put it in the baby seat and then the other. Then put the buggy in the boot and away she goes.

Absolute paranoia! If we worried about every possible eventuality we would be in the loony bin. Maybe the baby thats sitting in the buggy gets stung by a wasp and has an reaction and dies. What if the buggy's brake isnt engaged and it rolls down the hill into the street.

Life has to be lived in a realistic fashion. If that means you park your car for 5 minutes while you run into the shop to buy a paper - and you leave your sleeping kid in the car. Well thats a safe risk. We leave our kids alone in their rooms at home too. Should we all be worried about foxes entering them and attacking them.

The fault lies with the thief - not nescessarily the parent.

Don't be so quick to make judgement, most people do things without thinking that will never impact on their lives and this person was unlucky.

I'm not blaming the parent. Of course the fault lies with the thief.

I was merely responding to Mpsox's question as to how the parent could otherwise have put the twins in the car without leaving at least one of them alone.

I wouldn't leave my kids in the car for 5 minutes though. Sorry but that's too long a time period for something to go wrong.

Lots of people think its ok to leave baby in car when returning the trolley or paying for petrol. Its accepted behavior in this country

Newport is a tiny, sleepy village/town.

....with at least one car thief who's prepared to drive away with a kid in the back.

As kids, we used to leave our bikes overnight against the garden wall. When one of them was taken, we realsied we could never do so again.

Notwithstanding the traditional safety of leaving kids alone in cars, most people realise you can't really do it any longer.

sometimes it's difficult. let's say you have a sleeping baby /or babies/ in your car and you have to stop at a petrol station. if you have to pay, do you take out the buggies, wake up your babies, strap them into the buggy, go and pay then return and do the same in reverse order or do you try to pay as quickly as possibly with your car in plain sight?
i'm afraid of exactly the same situation that happened so i always fill up my car when my baby's not inside, i'd rather go to the petrol station early in the morning or late in the evening while dh's minding the baby but sometimes you can't avoid it.

I wouldn't leave my kids in the car for 5 minutes though. Sorry but that's too long a time period for something to go wrong.

Do you really think leaving your kids alone for 5 minutes is too long. Going and doing your full weekly shop is a different thing. But the scenario descibed above and running into the petrol station to pay is normal practice. God help society if we have to be beside our children every minute of the day.

Do you really think leaving your kids alone for 5 minutes is too long.

Obviously it depends on where you are - if you have full view of the car and it is locked then it's fine but 5 minutes where the car is out of view is too long in my view. We're talking about a baby here, not a laptop or ipod, why take any chance? That isn't paranoid in my book.

The irresponsibility here was leaving the keys in the ignition, engine running and baby in car at same time.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who still pull up outside garages, leave the engine running and go inside to buy something from the shop. Insurance companies are right to no longer pay these type of claims.

The irresponsibility here was leaving the keys in the ignition, engine running and baby in car at same time.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who still pull up outside garages, leave the engine running and go inside to buy something from the shop. Insurance companies are right to no longer pay these type of claims.

In the early 80s I remember someone I knew who used to always leave the keys in the ignition while going into the local shops on a Sunday evening on his way home from the golf club.

One evening, someone got into the car and drove off. He got the car back later and, having learned his lesson, locked the car before going into the shops the following Sunday.

Unfortunately, the previous week's thief was waiting for him and drove off again while he was in the shop.

He wasn't amused, but we all thought it was hilarious. Fortunately, there wasn't a baby in the car at the time.

Lots of people think its ok to leave baby in car when returning the trolley or paying for petrol. Its accepted behavior in this country

I think that this is ok as long as the car is locked and in your sight.

Leaving the keys in the ignition alone is just plain stupid IMHO.

Back