Azores

jph

Hi,

thinking about holidays for a week in August - anyone been to the Azores? It looks nice in the brochure but would like to hear from someone who has had first hand experience

thanks

jph

Hi JPH,

can't help you with experience I'm afraid but I am thinking of going there in August also.

Can I ask what brochure you saw it advertised in?

thanks.

Bluebean hi,

Sunway are advertising Azores and it looks really idyllic.

Let me know if you go - I still haven't decided

jph

Know someone who went there a few weeks ago and said it was beautiful. Not too touristy and really cheap. Nice scenery etc

We are thinking of going to Azores this year, wondering what your experiences were if you did actually go last year?

thanks

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but like the previous poster, the Azores might feature on the holiday 2008 list!

Anyone been, any comments, observations, complaints, etc?
Thanks!

Once again, sorry for resurrecting an old thread! Am going to the Azores on July 18th. Has anyone been there, whats it like? Anything that should not be missed and is there anything that we should pass on?

Thanks

Lorraine B

I was there a few years ago. They are a collection of volcanic islands halfway between europe and america. Portugese is the language.

Climate - very warm but not hot. It can rain at any time however (but not as wet as here).

People - Friendly and very little crime.

Getting around - you will really need to use the local airline to do any major island hopping.

Sao Miguel - the main island and probably your start point. Make sure to visit the amazing volcanic caldera containing lakes, lush flora, smaller calderas and a few towns.

Terceria - the hottest and driest of the islands (from my own experience).

Pico - the island with the huge suggestively shaped volcano. A lot of whale watching options here.

Faial - beautiful island. It's main town is very attractive and the harbour is used by yachts as a stopover point between europe and america.

São Jorge was my favourite island - very beautiful and green. It's a really long and narrow island - really just a single ridge sticking up out of the ocean. filled with flowers and some tradtional coastal windmills. the north coast has the "fajas" which are old landslides jutting into the ocean. A few of them have friendly hippie communes on them.

You should have a great trip - but do bring a light raincoat or brolly.

Back