Irish Life Health AVIVA Level 2 hospital, renewal date 1/6/13, policy has increased by over 15%!

gerprem08

Hi folks.
I'm with this company ("pure Wexford beef") for the last 2 years & my plan has remained the same. Now that I'm starting my third year, the price has jumped from €99 to €113 per month!

I know that health insurers were hiking up prices because of the last budget but 15% seems crazy! I've made zero claims (thankfully) over the last two years & I'm feeling a little ripped off!

Any suggestions? I'm going to call them after work & ask them what the story is.

Cheers Ger

Hi Ger,

What plan are you on at present and what is your renewal date?

Snowyb

The fact that you have not claimed on your health insurance is irrelevant I am afraid!

You definitely need to shop around. Use the health comparison website to compare your plan to similar plans. (www.hia.ie) My husband recently got his renewal with Laya Healthcare. He is on the SimplyHealth starter, which last year was at around 700 euro and this year, the renewal quote is for 949.52 euro, this includes an enormous 350 euro government levy!!!!

I don't know if their health insurance is run in the same way but the particular company you mention has been much more blatant than others in hiking up renewals whilst treating new business much better - that's for motor and home. As I say, not sure if they take the same tact with their health insurance products. There are threads on aam (as recent as a few weeks back) that attest to this.

In two years, this lot have charged me 86 for the first 12 months, 98 for the second 12 months & now they've jumped to 113. Unreal! They have another plan 'Health Value Plan' which is 75 per month. Thinking of downgrading to that. Insurance, eh? What a racket! Seems that in trying to protect yourself or family, you open yourself up to being fleeced!

Ever wonder why insurance companies have to spend millions on [broken link removed] with warm fuzzy voiceovers from happy mums about how "they were great, really looked after everything, leaving me to concentrate on the baby..."?

OP, whatever you go for, be sure to read the terms very carefully. As far as I'm aware Laya are the only providers not to have introduced (at least not yet) the "gotcha" of co-payments, usually well buried in the fine print (see this thread).

Hi Ger,

There are plenty of alternative plans to choose, at cheaper prices, with all 4 health insurance providers;
The plan you are on at the moment, Level 2 Hospital, has no inpatient excess. Here are a few suggestions to consider
which are identical to that plan.

1. LAYA HEALTHCARE; Healthwise Plus No Excess; adult price; 1003pa - good hospital cover, limited outpatient cover.
2. VHI HEALTHCARE; Plan PMI 30 12; adult price; 1104pa - good hospital cover, limited outpatient cover.
3. GLOHEALTH; Best Plan; adult price; 1110pa - good hospital cover, limited outpatient cover.

4. LAYA HEALTHCARE; Company Care Plus; adult price; 1201pa; - good hospital cover + excellent outpatient cover( 75% refund for
gp and consultant visits, 50% physiotherapy etc,etc)

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?23&277&314&335&198/

Here are another few suggestions to consider, with an inpatient excess, with all 4 providers. An inpatient(or hospital) excess is a one-off
payment that is made to a private or hi-tech hospital if a person is admitted for surgery or treatment. It is not payable in a public hospital.

LAYA HEALTHCARE
1. Total Health Choice; adult price 1017pa(1047pa) - good hospital cover and good outpatient cover, excess amount 125.
2. Simply Health Excess; adult price; 1019pa(1049pa) - good hospital cover and good outpatient cover, excess amount 125.

Note; prices in brackets includes a 3% charge if paying by instalments.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?23&323&279/

AVIVA HEALTH
1. Level 2 Health Excess; adult price; 904pa - good hospital cover, limited outpatient cover, excess amount 125.
2. Health Plan 06; adult price; 980pa - good hospital cover, good outpatient cover, excess amount 75.
3. Health Plan 10; adult price; 1188pa - good hospital cover + extra outpatient cover, excess amount 75.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?23&249&309&317/

GLOHEALTH
1. Better Plan; adult price; 915pa - good hospital cover, limited outpatient cover, excess amount 100.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?23&298/

VHI HEALTHCARE
1. Plan PMI 14 11; adult price; 1050pa; - good hospital cover + good outpatient cover, excess amount 75.
2. Plan PMI 10 11; adult price; 945pa; - good hospital cover + some outpatient cover, excess amount 125.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?23&257&252/

NOTE; Level 2 Health Excess plan would be a better choice than Health Value plan, similar price, with no loss of cover. Details above under Aviva Health.

Regards, Snowyb

Back