average weekly food bills?

I'm curious to know what people's definition of value is? I would have thought it's the perfect balance of price and quality. Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead in Aldi or Lidl...I've never set foot in either and I never will. I have been forced to eat products from both on occasion and have not enjoyed them and equally like many I've heard rumours and innuendo about their products. I'd like to stress that this is just my opinion (which I'm entitled to) There are two of us and we spend about €150 a week in Superquinn. There's no doubt Tesco is cheaper but we prefer the products in Superquinn (except for the Tesco Devonshire Style Fudge Yoghurts!)

When you say you wouldn't be seen dead in either it implies you're more worried about appearances than the quality of them? What about toilet paper and household cleaners, do you not have an interest in making a saving on them or must it be Superquinn?
I used to live in Germany and Lidl was a normal mainstream supermarket back then .. . .we must look like crazy people to the Germans with all this worrying over the quality and why it's cheaper etc. It's to do with Lidl's business model not the quality of the products.

on an aside we could do well to remember the overall cost of dealing with aldi/lidl.
the local aldi/lidl is 10 miles away and employs 14-15 people in total, in the village the two small shops employ 22-23.
yet the turnover of aldi/lidl would be close to 10 times the 2 small shops combined.
most of the products in aldi/lidl are imported including milk, bread and fresh meats giving little if anything back to the community. all their profits are expatriated back to germany and they dont employ any local services (accountants,solicitors,architects,maintenance etc)
there is also a big picture to think about.

It's true alright that Lidl is a lean operation - as a company they don't buy anything here. However plenty of their stuff is indeed Irish including some of the meat, veg. I picked up some spuds in Dunnes today and they were from Israel. But you're right I would like to shop in local shops more often. If the butcher made it clearer where their meat actually came from and whether it was organic or not I would shop there more. At least in the supermarkets the stuff is labelled.

When you say you wouldn't be seen dead in either it implies you're more worried about appearances than the quality of them? What about toilet paper and household cleaners, do you not have an interest in making a saving on them or must it be Superquinn.

No, I meant it as a figure of speech. My limited exposure to Aldi/Lidl products has not impressed me and I've zero interest in shopping there. The toilet paper example is a bad one as the quality does vary...you can't tell me the Andrex Aloe Vera stuff I buy is the same as some cheapy own brand German stuff? Or that the fillet steak in Superquinn is the same as one would get in Aldi or Lidl. If you're destitute then by all means go to these places but to be honest I find it bizarre to see people who have a few quid going to these places. Fair enough stuff like basic bleach may be cheaper but the concept of making two trips to different locations just to save chump change makes no sense at all. What about the time value of money? Sorry, but not for me. Answer me this, are the products the same quality as the ones you get in Superquinn or M&S?

same reason then not to buy at....
-Argos
HMV
Boots
Spec Savers
Debenhams
Tesco
Carpet right
Currys
B&Q
PC World
Halfords
Reids
Land of Leather
Maplins
etc right!!!!

I'll continue to buy at Aldi & Lidl as long as I get value there!

in a word yes, the likes of tesco are particularly odious and you only have to look at the damage they have done to the village/town life in the uk to see how many town centres they have ruined.
value is relative and as johnrambo said its a mix of quality and cost, your not comparing like with like and the overall cost to the community in the long term

annR look closely at the labels and you will find that alot of their fresh products are actually from the north, esp aldi, not defending dunnes but at this time of year you get new potatoes from cyprus and italy and israel until the irish potatoes come out.

they bring nothing to the community table, you dont see aldi/lidl sponsoring the local teams or events do you?

Usually spend €50 - €60 between Dunnes and M & S for one person for food only, which includes yops & fruit etc. as part of weekday lunches.

I stock up on non perishables when they have BOGOF or 50%/100% extra free e.g. toilet paper, kitchen paper, tissues, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, bleach, washing powder/liquid, washing up liquid etc.

Many moons ago we used to be battered with the buy Irish campaigns. I'm sure we'll see that again.

annR look closely at the labels and you will find that alot of their fresh products are actually from the north, esp aldi, not defending dunnes but at this time of year you get new potatoes from cyprus and italy and israel until the irish potatoes come out.

they bring nothing to the community table, you dont see aldi/lidl sponsoring the local teams or events do you?

I agree about Lidl not contributing much locally. I don't actually buy my meat in Lidl anyway - tend to go to Dunnes for that - trying to go to local butcher more. Plenty of Lidl stuff is Irish though - I would say at least as much as in other supermarkets for veg and dry goods anyway.

No, I meant it as a figure of speech. My limited exposure to Aldi/Lidl products has not impressed me and I've zero interest in shopping there. The toilet paper example is a bad one as the quality does vary...you can't tell me the Andrex Aloe Vera stuff I buy is the same as some cheapy own brand German stuff? Or that the fillet steak in Superquinn is the same as one would get in Aldi or Lidl. If you're destitute then by all means go to these places but to be honest I find it bizarre to see people who have a few quid going to these places. Fair enough stuff like basic bleach may be cheaper but the concept of making two trips to different locations just to save chump change makes no sense at all. What about the time value of money? Sorry, but not for me. Answer me this, are the products the same quality as the ones you get in Superquinn or M&S?

I don't really know to be honest - am rarely in SQ or M&S! Lidl quality is mostly good enough for me. I think I'm an opposite mindset to you - I'm not particularly brand loyal; I mistrust brands the way the way you mistrust discount. I'm don't want to pay through the nose to feel good about some branded stuff which is in a nicer package but arguably the same. Perhaps my cynicism is down to my marketing background. I look at the ingredients, decide if they're good enough and at right price and go from there.
I would think the quality of many Lidl products is fine - for example the cold meats, parmesan cheese, sundried tomatoes, canned tomatoes, most veg, raisins, cereals, muesli, naan bread, baked beans, flour, fruit juice to list a few things I buy there regularly. I don't buy Lidl meat much, am trying to go organic.
As a non brand loyal person, choice is more important for me and it's worth shopping in different places - Dunnes, local butcher, Asia market and Lidl are all convenient for me.

AnnR - I have much the same attidude as you and shop in either Dunnes or Lidl's. I tend to go for the Lidl 'Linessa' range of products especially their cheeses, yogurts and of course their wide range of fresh veg. The only thing I don't like there is their tinned stuff but I love their gammon, it's delicious cold for sandwiches!. In the coming months, many of Lidl own brand products will carry precise details of their nutrients and calories content.
I spend an average of 160 to 180e per week for 2 adults and 2 teenagers and also one or two of their friends stay over on a regular basis.

I wish I could shop in Lidl more often because I am impressed with their products. They are a little far away though. I tend to buy a good bit at the local Sunday market, some fish for Sunday dinner and an organic chicken plus fruit and veg from local producers. The rest comes from the local Supervalue, while more expensive at least I'm supporting a local employer. Except for the meat which I get from the butchers next door to my office ( every two weeks or so get some boneless T-Bone steak, mmmm) who sell meat of fantastic quality and variety.

..... Answer me this, are the products the same quality as the ones you get in Superquinn or M&S?

The answer is yes for some things and definitely not for other things. The trick is to be selective, then you will definitely get quality with great prices.

I wouldn't buy toilet rolls there, washing up liquid and dishwasher liquid - yes. The basic staples of fruit, veg, unprocessed meat and dairy are like for like on quality with the other supermarkets.

Pity there isn't a bigger range there though :(

I am happy to shop in Tesco, Aldi, Dunnes and Supervalu. The shop I tend not to go to is Superquinn mainly because I have compared their prices and they are far more expensive than the others. I never got the argument from Fergal Quinn when he said that their goods were fresher and it was worth paying a few cents extra for fresher food. Apparently his tinned food must be fresher as well because these were also a few cents dearer. I was in Aldi yesterday and I was happy to get a giant German cauliflower for the same price as a tiny Irish one and a kilo of small potatoes for 49c and a punnett of kiwi fruit for 99c.
Maybe during the week I will shop in Tesco's to see if they have anything worthwhile.
I just don't understand the closed mind of someone who wouldn't be seen dead in an Aldi and only shops in Superquinn.

I dramatically reduced my shopping in my local Super Value in favour of Aldi.
My partner and I have found that splitting our shop between the two is the best approach.
Basically we buy non perishable goods in Aldi (bleach, washing powder tissues and so on)
We only shop in our local Super Value for day to day meats, fruit and veg as we have decided not
to stock up on these items because invariably we were throwing out between 10 and 20%.

I would love to support our local business and shop there but they have to give me something
grab on to. Pricing you own brand of OJ the same as a carton of Tropicana or pricing a tin of
chopped tomatoes as double the price of Aldi is not the way to encourage my custom.

One recent marketing poster really irked me, basically there were three images of till receipts,
one Dunnes, one Tesco and one Super Value. They listed exactly the same products and came to

exactly the same price. The tag line was something about real savings or value.
This isn’t saving me anything, it’s telling me not to bother and it’s telling me there is a cosy cartel,
maybe not an official one but I’m sure they visit each others premises price the goods and simply
match the price, that’s not competition, it’s cynical.

As I said I would love to support local business but actions like that put me right off. Anyway what it
really comes down to is that I have to ensure my salary goes as far as possible to ensure the security of my family. I cannot be responsible for trying to prop up local business that are overcharging me for basic goods and services.

Irish people have to become more price and value aware. Don’t just look at the price check out the small print that tells you the cost per litre / wash etc… make a note of it compare it to other retailers. Soon the penny will drop and prices will be forced down. This seems to happen all over the world except here. I think we only have ourselves to blame.

Just one last thing, I would never have written this post three years ago!!!

Im not suggesting that people prop up their local businesses but im just asking people to think of the big or long term picture, the likes of tesco , aldi and lidl are not good for ireland in the long term, they expatriate all their profits and get alot if not all of their products imported.
long term we will all pay a bigger price.

I just don't understand the closed mind of someone who wouldn't be seen dead in an Aldi and only shops in Superquinn.

I was a little like this a few years ago ( not quite as bad but however!) I just didn't understand Lidl/Aldi. I live with a superquinn practically backing onto my back garden and lidl and aldi in the area also.I buy my meat on sulmeat.com (due to other poster:havealaughs recommendation) I buy fruit&veg in fruit and veg shop and now I buy practically everything else in lidl/aldi. Superquinn is by no means what it used to be! I got caught out last week and bought a piece of pork loin there, well...the state of it! Was barely the loin, half of it was cheap gammon! Also stuff is regularly on the shelves out of date-especially dairy! In my superquinn the pick and mix is beside the self service checkouts- what happened to all those admirable promises about not doing the likes of such? All their price promises seem to have gone out the window as well! But if someone wants to shop there based on the name Superquinn or because they deem it to be of a better class, let them empty their pockets out!
Personally if I wanted to spend a fortune on my shopping, I would be going to Fallon and Byrne, Donnybrook Fair, Mortons etc rather than Superquinn...at least there are high quality goods there albeit expensive!

I agree with thundercat. I gave up going superquinn after having to report mixed raw meat (packaging torn open) with salads/fruit in a discount fridge on 3 separate occasions to management - explained nicely requirement for separate fridges, health risk, etc... Only resolved when I reported it to the food safety authority - yes, I probably should have first time, but I thought explaining it to management would have been sufficient. Though I shouldn't have had to explain it!

I do support my local green grocer (but he's often closed when I get home) + aldi/lidl. Rarely buy meat - but in the butchers. IF I want to treat myself to something unusual, Falons and Byrne in town.

Dem

Back