average weekly food bills?

How do you check them - do you remember what the advertised price was for everything? I find it hard to believe that they're not conning people. These supermarkets have sophisticated systems! There's no excuse for them making mistakes and overcharging people - I bet they make a packet on it.

It's more from buying the same stuff every week and knowing roughly what's what. Although in truth, I'm not so careful about checking I was charged the price advertised on every thing.

Example: running through last week with a few bits I was charged 12 euro and some cents. I had calculated it to be about eight euro. Paid up (cos I don't like making a scene) and checked the receipt. I'd been charged twice for a ten pack of bottled water and the two jars of coffee were charged at individual price, not "buy one, get one half price". I got refund on water and one jar of coffee.

The memorable one I recall, but this was last year, was half price dog food. I picked up three multi packs of 12 tins, was charged full price and when I quieried it I was handed 36 quid and told I could keep the dog food. Some price promise thing they have. Ended up with 36 quids worth of dog food AND 36 euro and a self inflicted kick that I hadn't picked up more.

Paid up (cos I don't like making a scene) and checked the receipt. I'd been charged twice for a ten pack of bottled water and the two jars of coffee were charged at individual price, not "buy one, get one half price". I got refund on water and one jar of coffee.
Looks like Superquinn best practices...The one where i do my shopping is notorious for exactly that, and very "reliable" as it happens each time!

i'm doing only freezer meals this week. did a very little shop last week. amazed at the amount of 1/2 open stuff in the freezer and left over stuff we froze as well. last night I had waffles, garlic cibatta bread, chicken and gravy. yum yum.
Great. Maybe you could post every day telling us what you had for dinner?

On average about €100/week for 2 people. Don't know where it goes to be honest. Try to stock up on toothpaste/mouthwash/shower gel/shampoo etc when they are BOGOF offers, which is quite often in Tesco...

Must check out my freezer like bigjoe, could probably feed us for a month!

usually try to plan out what we'll eat for the week. Therfore not over buying - I hate wasting food. Particularly when something goes out of date.

Started to split our shopping: Usually buy all fruit and veg, plus some other items on a weekly basis in Aldi. Noticed MASSIVE savings on this as apposed to Tescos.

Then buy other items like meat and other unavailable products in JC's in swords. Again much better value for your regular brand items.
Also tend to leave the cleaning/shampoo products to one main shop but try to look out for special offers on these items which JC's always have.

Usuall spend is about 180 - 200 forthnight. 2 adults + 6 month old starting solids ;) (so loads of fruit and veg)

2 adults + 21 month old spend about €130/week for food and grocer. Comparing with last year, the bill goes up about 10%~15%. :eek:
We buy fish in Howth. Shop in Lidl more than in Superquinn. Like Ciars, put down we'll eat next week and only buy what we need. Good way to cut down waste and save some money! :)

Mine used to be about the €100 mark for two, with 2 / 3 trips per week for baskets of goods, since I started shopping only once per week in Lidl and Aldi its about €50 - €55 on average, I have found that I do feel the need to go to one of the main stores for stuff such as Glenisk yogurt, frozen veggie stuff and Tayto every fortnight or so, but I've tried to keep that shopping trip to just the list. it meant a little experimentation with their various brands but I've never been disappointed, though I have found that you have to get there early in the day to get the decent fresh produce.

Two adults and a two years old boy = 100 p/w = Lidil + Aldi

Joejoe

€50 - €100 per week for 2 adults.

This website is useful if you're trying to cut back and avoid wasting food - I hate throwing stuff out so I'm going to try their meal planner for a week or so.

Under 30 a week for 1 adult and I eat well!
- Toiletries try Aldi/Lidl. I've sensitive skin, but so far so good
- Don't eat much meat/fish
- Use left overs + freeze when needed eg bread, grated cheese, left over wine - may not be a prob for others ;)
- Grow your own herbs
- Use the Asian shops for spices

I agree about the Asian shops - I go there for spices, litre bottles of soy sauce/rice wine, bags of beans and lentils, noodles. Depends on whether you do much Asian cooking but Chinese and Indian are very quick, healthy and cheap.

Hmm... interesting - for those who like to be given a list and told this is the menu. They've a web site with the menus, shopping lists - theory is that each days meal is based off yesterdays left overs.

Mind you - I think go talk to the mammy! There's a lot of be said for imagination:I was brought up eating chicken liver pate (chicken liver was free at the time), fried monk fish (was the poors mans fish then!) and other wonders that were home made from the "left overs"

Anyone notice that the thread was started in '05 - prices quoted then: couple + baby - 180, family (2 adults, 3 kids, 2 teenagers) - 300, 2 adults + 1 dog - 80. Comparing to the prices being quoted now, I think people are probably a bit more discerning!

Dem

For 2 adults and two young children, our weekly grocery bill comes to just over €200, sometimes more. I'm always amazed at how economically some other families can shop; we shop mainly at Lidl and Tesco, buying our fresh vegetables and meat at small independent stores. We bring our own sandwiches to work, rarely eat out and enjoy plenty of fish, meat and vegetables in our diet. We batch cook and freeze meals every week. I've often tried to see where we could economise (especially with the recession and all that!), but I can't see any real luxuries that I could cut out. Good homecooked food is one of the true pleasures of life for me and my family!

Average €151 pw from NCA market research published on Tuesday. More info at consumerconnect.ie

€50 a week for 2 adults and a child who's here 3 nights a week. Everything bought in aldi except actimel, heinz beans and razor blades.

Have to recommend Valley Meats in Coolock, wholesale prices, just discovered it the other week.I got a "Fiver Fry" for €5 I got 2LB sausages, 1LB rashers plus black and white pudding. All their other meat is very cheap as well, got some chicken breasts, (10 for €10) and some mince

Got some mince or mice. At that price hardly organic but is it eatible. Stay away from the North. A visit to Asda will cause you to cry. The last thing the government needs is a revolt.

People need to reevaluate their shopping habits , make a list and stick to it .keep an eye out for bargains.buy only what you need it is estimated that up to 30% of food is thrown out, it would be better and cheaper to top up your shopping in your local shop then to spend big in the supermarkets and then throw it out.
Remember to factor in the cost of travel into your prices.

on an aside we could do well to remember the overall cost of dealing with aldi/lidl.
the local aldi/lidl is 10 miles away and employs 14-15 people in total, in the village the two small shops employ 22-23.
yet the turnover of aldi/lidl would be close to 10 times the 2 small shops combined.
most of the products in aldi/lidl are imported including milk, bread and fresh meats giving little if anything back to the community. all their profits are expatriated back to germany and they dont employ any local services (accountants,solicitors,architects,maintenance etc)
there is also a big picture to think about.

P..........
most of the products in aldi/lidl are imported including milk, bread and fresh meats giving little if anything back to the community. all their profits are expatriated back to germany and they dont employ any local services (accountants,solicitors,architects,maintenance etc)
there is also a big picture to think about.

same reason then not to buy at....
-Argos
HMV
Boots
Spec Savers
Debenhams
Tesco
Carpet right
Currys
B&Q
PC World
Halfords
Reids
Land of Leather
Maplins
etc right!!!!

I'll continue to buy at Aldi & Lidl as long as I get value there!

I'll continue to buy at Aldi & Lidl as long as I get value there!

I'm curious to know what people's definition of value is? I would have thought it's the perfect balance of price and quality. Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead in Aldi or Lidl...I've never set foot in either and I never will. I have been forced to eat products from both on occasion and have not enjoyed them and equally like many I've heard rumours and innuendo about their products. I'd like to stress that this is just my opinion (which I'm entitled to) There are two of us and we spend about €150 a week in Superquinn. There's no doubt Tesco is cheaper but we prefer the products in Superquinn (except for the Tesco Devonshire Style Fudge Yoghurts!)

Back