average salaries

Re: ?

Sounds like you've dispensed with the need for any debate and have already made your mind up!

This is a debating forum ClubMan, if your views differ from the above, please post something coherent, rather than making smart remarks.

If the civil service is enjoying such high wages, it pushes inflation up. How can small Irish companies possibly survive when they have to pay their staff such extravagant wages?

Is it any surprise that Ireland is so expensive when the Gardai (for example) are getting paid so much? The house prices make sense now.

Y'all

Dont forget that most organisations are pyramidical in shape, i.e. lots of low paid at the bottom and the fatter cats at the top. An exception is the prison service and gardai. If gov. were committed to a proper servicce they would employ more POs and Cops and bring the average down.

In Health, which someone mentioned, highest salaries earned by medical consultants. Increase in admin/management posts followed a long period of a freeze on new posts, leading to demotivated workforce and absence of management skills.

Gardai and nurses can no longer afford to buy in Dublin. Low interest rates has pushed up demand etc...

advantages of private sector.. pensions up to 66% of final salary, share options, Company cars, bonuses, overtime...

Most Public servants just trying to do a good job despite moronic edicts of government...

Slim

Hi folks,

Firstly thanks to Slim for making a couple of excellent points in defence of the Public Serivce. Some of the other contributors seem to have funny ideas about the Service generally.

Ok, I'm biased having spent 10+ years in various Departments, but my experience of the Public Serivce has been a good one on average - I'd never say it's perfect but having worked in both sectors, I'd have to tell you all that it runs more efficiently than the much vaunted private sector!

As for some of the comments I've seen on this thread, I must say I'm a little suprised and disappointed at some contributors who really should know better - oh well the certainty of stupidity and all that. :mad

For the records all public servant ares NOT overpaid underworked wander around the country/abroad on expenses etc.

Incidentally who do you think got all that EU money or get good deals considering our size?

Note if somebody says the policiticans, I think I'll throw up!!!!

Who brings in substantial funds through the provision of consultancy services to other countries?

Just saying there's another side to the equation as all!

Regards,

Rodders.

Cost of the service

the certainty of stupidity

I find that its a sure sign that you've lost the logical, intellectual, and moral argument when you have to stoop to labelling those with opposing views as dullards.

:rolleyes

Hi Timbo,

I'm sorry you feel like that - To be honest with you I have some experience of the issue - it's quite obvious from previous emails that others do not. That's all.

And to be be frank with you some of the comments have been quite sweeping and wrong and there has been no thought into what the truth actually so yes my comment is correct!

If you feel put out by that fine, but at least lets have a discussion rather than putting up what is really the equivalent of verbal bull****!

Regards,

Rodders.

Steady ladies...put away the handbags!

Some of the resentment which is held about public servants is the fact that, in the main, jobs are permanent and pensionable. During the time of the Celtic Tiger when it seemed that every twat with a diploma in IT was setting up an Internet Consultancy or floating on Nasdaq etc, many public servants watched helplessly as house prices soared and Public floatations made wealthy people(on paper anyway) of phone installers who had not been able to get a LeavingCert etc. Share options and 66% retirement pensions were also jealously regarded...now I'm boring myself!

Anyway, there are plusses and minuses to every career...

Slim

Hi Slim,

Sound advice as always..... My handbag has been firmly put away!!

Where else could I keep all my money anyway :rollin

And on to the next big item....!!

All the best,

Rodders

PS I certainly don't mean to offend anyone in any of my posts, but I will never let anything go unchallenged!!

Of course the Internet Consultancy firms those twats set up are now history and those share options are worthless!!

twats

. . . .meanwhile the lads in the civil service still continue to get their above inflation pay rises, generous final salary pensions, never take a risk (like those entrepreneurs you call "twats" do), and don't break into a sweat too often.

Somethings never change . . .

Rip off Ireland, how are ya ?

Re: twats

I'd love to know what proportion of posters to this board are in the civil service. What would also interest me is what everyone's average salary is. Is there a way of finding this out anonymously? - doesn't ezboard have a polls feature?

Salaries

Hi AP - Why don't you setup a poll anywhere on the web & post a link to it?

Re: twats

I'd love to know what proportion of posters to this board are in the civil service. What would also interest me is what everyone's average salary is.

Why?

tedd

tedd - so I can compare my income to others.

I'd also like to see if views expressed on this site are from mainly public or private sector employees.

Rainyday - I can get a link to a poll, but unfortunately the voters have to register on the site first. If I can get a link where people don't have to register, I'll post it.

Re: polls

I'd also like to see if views expressed on this site are from mainly public or private sector employees

Surely each view expressed belongs to an individual and therefore is not influenced by whether the majority of other contributors are from the private or public sector?

A prolific contributor (and AAM is fortunate to have many!) could have an influence out of proportion with the representation of their sector.

Finally, I disagree with the assumption that the sector an individual works in is an independent determinant of their opinion.

regards
tedd

average saleris

Incidentally who do you think got all that EU money or get good deals considering our size?

There is little point to that money if it ends up being spent on implimenting the benchmarking agreement.

I'm sorry you feel like that - To be honest with you I have some experience of the issue - it's quite obvious from previous emails that others do not. That's all.

I think we all have experience when it comes to dealing with inept civil servants

Bull Island

As I parked my Rolls Royce this morning I thought to myself, "How can I screw the state for even more money this morning. Of course, today was payday so I had to wheel my barrow down the office to collect my salary - in cash, obviously, to facilitate moving it off shore quietly....

I may as well be posting the above instead of making any meaningful contribution to this thread, or indeed to this site of late as it had turned into a public servant bashing shop. Some of the points made above are unbelievably stupid. The people posting them cannot have an inkling of what its like to working the public service Check out the bench marking debate to see my posts on the subject, I'm not going to repeat myself, especially for the ill informed.

The basis of a lot of these points seems to be a kind of archaic begrudgery, the likes of which I have not seen since I grew up in the west of Ireland. Instead of taking responsibility for their own future, financial and otherwise, people ore pointing at one group and blaming them for the country's woes. Sandy Small in particular seems to think the public service is a bit of a holiday camp staffed by underworked bloated fools who don't care about their jobs and don't need to. This is utter nonsense.

The bottom line is this. Public and private sector companies exist for different reasons. They have different goals and objectives and need to have a different philosophy. Its daft to compare them as equals because they are not and never can be.

If you want to make comparisons on the quality and work standards within the public service it should be done by comparing different public sectors to each other and to public sectors in other EU countries.

If you want to compare public sector salaries to private ones then that is a different debate, and the question should surely be why private sector companies are underpaying their staff, not why public sectors are overpaying. Think I'm wrong? Then ask you self why manufacturing companies are leaving in droves to set up in the Philippines Indonesia and China because they find Irish wage costs too high. Their corporate philosophy, not their profit margin, is what determines this, but that's a whole different (and much more unsettling) debate.

Sorry about the long post, but it had to be said.

Curvy

Bull Island

Back to work curvy. My tax euros do not go to pay for the time you spend dossing on the computer. Then again, you are more than likely on more holidays.

P v P

If you want to compare public sector salaries to private ones then that is a different debate, and the question should surely be why private sector companies are underpaying their staff, not why public sectors are overpaying. Think I'm wrong? Then ask you self why manufacturing companies are leaving in droves to set up in the Philippines Indonesia and China because they find Irish wage costs too high. Their corporate philosophy, not their profit margin, is what determines this, but that's a whole different (and much more unsettling) debate.

Does this mean that the Public Sector is overpaid by private industry's standards?

Back