Average price of a wedding inc reception etc?

some things have changed a lot since Cu got married. (29 years ago) others obviously haven't. in those days you were invited to the wedding and reception, there was no 'afters'. We had a small wedding (under 40 ) and there was a lot of 'talk' over who we weren't inviting. (cousins, aunts, uncles etc ) we invited both families, close work friends,and one or very two close family relations who we were seeing on a regular basis. cousin did the photoghraphs and we had a band. people would probably find it hard to believe but in those days the bride and groom left the wedding and not the other way round!!! anyway we were flying out the next morning and did a runner to the skylon, which we both still fondly remember when we pass it on the way home from Dublin:) the one thing that really puzzles me now is why I getting invited to the sons/daughters of 'work colleagues' weddings. totally beaten docket on this one and I have been invited to at least 4 in this catagory in the past 5 years. just bought a present and made an excuse ( maybe that was the mistake :rolleyes: ) on all occasions. for what its worth one of my work colleagues and one of Mrs Cu's work colleagues hit it off at our wedding ( they did know each other previously) and we got invited to their wedding two years later:D .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just got invited to my niece's Hen Night which will mean a night away in a hotel at my expence. Its abit like inviting guests to your house but telling them to bring their own food. Her sister is organising it and she has invited all her aunts (12 in total) as well as the bride's friends. I thought it was bad enough been invited to the wedding but the Hen Night as well. I wouldnt mind if it was just a night but it will take up 2 days of the up coming bank holiday w/e. I know I don't have to go.

Has a good extended family party gone totally out of fashion? Everyone here seems quite negative about it. Surely one of the great things about weddings and christenings etc is that you see people you wouldn't regularly see . . . .just cos they live in the UK or somewhere doesn't mean you don't still view them as family. I can just imagine my Mum's face if I said I wasn't inviting her sisters because I don't see them regularly!

>> Weddings are supposed to be a day to remember, because you are starting a new life with the one you love, it shouldn't be about who you invite, who you don't, and how much you spend on the food and drink!! <<

I don't mean you personally and please don't take offence, but is that not a contradiction? If it's supposed to be a day to remember,that's connected to who you invite, because only the people you invite will witness and remember the day. When you leave them out of it because of cost, you are making it about how much you save on food and drink. . I just think that people seem really negative about inviting their aunties and uncles. How you would get away with it is beyond me.

I have just got invited to my niece's Hen Night which will mean a night away in a hotel at my expence. Its abit like inviting guests to your house but telling them to bring their own food. Her sister is organising it and she has invited all her aunts (12 in total) as well as the bride's friends. I thought it was bad enough been invited to the wedding but the Hen Night as well. I wouldnt mind if it was just a night but it will take up 2 days of the up coming bank holiday w/e. I know I don't have to go.

I fully agree with the expense involved in hen nights . . ..it can really add up to be a lot of money.

Has a good extended family party gone totally out of fashion? Everyone here seems quite negative about it. Surely one of the great things about weddings and christenings etc is that you see people you wouldn't regularly see . . . .just cos they live in the UK or somewhere doesn't mean you don't still view them as family. I can just imagine my Mum's face if I said I wasn't inviting her sisters because I don't see them regularly!

Well I've just informed my mother that I don't want one of her brothers at the party at home because I can't stand him - she's not happy and now I feel bad :(

As for hen parties, they're gone ridiculous these days. I would never expect my friends to pay for a night away somewhere.

Well I've just informed my mother that I don't want one of her brothers at the party at home because I can't stand him - she's not happy and now I feel bad :(

So you should, you've just put her in a terrible position! It has to be come one, come all when it comes to brothers and sisters!!:p

So you should, you've just put her in a terrible position! It has to be come one, come all when it comes to brothers and sisters!!:p

I'm happy enough for all her other brothers and sisters to come along even if some of them aren't my favourite people in the world, but this particular man grabbed my boob when I was 16 and I can't stand him ever since (he knows how I feel too!).

Ah the stress has already started and we haven't even picked a date!

Does you mother know he did this? If one of my brother's did that to my daughter, I'd castrate him!!!! Don't invite him...feck him.

She knows but she said he apologised. I said he never apologised to me and if he did I probably wouldn't accept it. He's a pig and I don't want him anywhere near the party! I reckon my Dad will agree with me because he can't stand him either.

Why not tell her that you'll invite him if he apologies to you personally.

Even if he apologised I don't want him there! Knowing him he'd turn up and try to grab the other boob!

Back