Average grocery spend

This topic got me thinking about a couple of things re: groceries

1) How many people have switched from the like sof M&S, Dunnes etc to Aldi/Lidl over the last year or two?

2) What % of all these groceries are thrown out compared to the 'good old days'? I remember once hearing that we used to throw out 25% of our food.

I always shopped in Superquinn and M&S. Frequently threw out / wasted food but funnily enough almost never with M&S. Maybe because their food tends to be more portioned than sold in bulk or large quantities. And I've never brought home their fruit / veg and found something dodgy or tired looking or mouldy and just binned it.

A.

OMG this thread has got me wondering about our food bills!!!

2 adults and we spend anything between 100-150 euro a week on food bills, normally buy toiletries seperately but sometimes included in grocery bill. Would always have food in the presses or freezer so the odd week would not have to buy much maybe bread and milk (but thats only the odd week!).......must definately be doing something wrong!!!!

Then some weeks when food is running low, could spend between 200-300 euro.....!!

I'm in the north, but spend about £100 sterling at the start of the month for all the basics for the month, and then maybe about £20 a week on fresh stuff and things I run out of. Mainly feeding just me, but also sometimes feeding the boyfriend with a huge appetite. Used to spend about £120, but trying to economise, so buying more value products, and less snacks!!

spend €65 a week for 2 adults, baby in nappies and on forumula and a dog. I'm not working so our overall budget is tight but I find planning my weekly menu based on the special offers on around saves loads and adds variety. I generally make a list of the special offers that take my fancy from the tesco, dunnes, aldi and lidl websites and then google recipes.

In the beginning it was a struggle to keep to the budget but now I actually think we're eating way better than during the boom years. I generally spend under this budget so I have a little 'pot' for buying mach 3 blades or nappies in bulk when on special offer.

I usually do one big shop once a month where i head to tesco and lidl and spend about 120- 150 euro on two of us. We then pick up bits and pieces in the local shop as we need them. We get the likes of the houshold stuff and some of teh meat in lidl and other specific brands in tesco.

I went to M & S last week as I wanted to pick up a bottle of the bellini fizz stuff and took a look at the food as I was there. I was really surprised to see that the prices have really gone down since last time I was in there a few years back. They had packets of cooked meats and pastries at 3 for 7 euro which were lovely and another italian deal where you got two meals and a garlic bread and a salad for a few euro. I'd never do a full shop there but It encouraged me to go back and pick up a few bits.

I nip into superquinn purely for the sausages - nothing beats them :)

We spend around €500-550 a month for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids,none in nappies). do our shoppin in either Lidl,Aldi,Supervalu or Dunnes with Tesco the odd time. Lidl/Aldi definately the cheapest but like some branded goods. This total would include beer/wine.

Our household has 2 adults one baby in nappies and formula. We set a budget of €500 per month, which includes 4 good bottles of wine from the Wine Buff (€60), and 2-3 take aways (€40) too.
Switched to Lidl nappies recently; not only are they substantially cheaper than the brand names, but we find them a lot, lot better.

This topic got me thinking about a couple of things re: groceries

1) How many people have switched from the like sof M&S, Dunnes etc to Aldi/Lidl over the last year or two?

2) What % of all these groceries are thrown out compared to the 'good old days'? I remember once hearing that we used to throw out 25% of our food.

1) We've been shopping in Lidl since about 2003. At the start we still did the odd shop in Dunnes, but we found the price difference rediculuous.
2) I think we deffinitely pay more attention to how much fresh fruit and veg we now buy, and therefore throw out less. This has mainly to do with the fact that we have a fruit and veg shop close by, so it is convenient to pick up stuff every couple of days.

As others have mentioned, we have noticed considerable reductions in prices. I was in a Lidl in Germany about 5 years ago, and comparing prices was easy as they stock more or less the same stuff. At the time I saw about a 20 - 30% difference (not looking at wine) to what was charged in Ireland. Was in Germany again last year, and found there almost no difference at all, and Germany certainly hasn't suffered any significant price increases in the last few years.

Mrs Sparkrite does the weekly shop in Dunnes/Tesco for a family of 3 adults and 3 female teens.

Comes to an average of €300- €320. That also includes all toiletries and cleaning tablets/powder etc. for the week.

However we are at times going to the local shop during the week for milk/bread/eggs...........

That seems like a lot to me Sparkrite

Couldn't agree more Caveat, tell me about it!!

Herself will go between Tesco and Dunnes each week looking for the "Specials"
To be fair that total includes a €21 box of wine and €14 euro on the lotto, but nevertheless reading this thread €320 seems excessive.

I'll have to get her to read this thread:)

Probably 5-600 a month for 2 adults, 2 kids in nappies.
Spend is all between Lidl and Aldi, bi-mnthly trip to Dunnes for small shop.

4 lines QP lotto+ = €8

2 lines QP Euromillions+ = €6

Each week => €14 * 52 = €728.

Also, why do people do more than one line (or whatever the minimum cost one is) - if you're luck is in its in, making your chances of winning 2 in a billion rather than 1 in a billion isnt going to make much difference!

Sparkrite, You could buy prize bonds with that €728, every year and be in weekly and monthly draws up to €1million. That is what I did. You always have the money then.
Also the shop is very high, should be able to get away with 250 for the 6 of you. IS your wife buying the specials on top of everything else? Is there much waste on food? IS there a lot of luxury buying in that.

About 800 a month 2 adults and 1 child including cleaning materials and tolieteries etc.

There is just me and I spend probably 120-150 per week. Its hard to quantify though most times I put stuff like hairspray, shampoos, a bottle of wine etc in, which are expensive.

I shop in local shops, markets, local farm gate (for meat) and the rest in Superquinn, though pick up some bits in Aldi too.

Am going to try to cut my spend and save a few bob.

There is just me and I spend probably 120-150 per week. Its hard to quantify though most times I put stuff like hairspray, shampoos, a bottle of wine etc in, which are expensive.

I shop in local shops, markets, local farm gate (for meat) and the rest in Superquinn, though pick up some bits in Aldi too.

Am going to try to cut my spend and save a few bob.

Yeah, it's not cheap to shop for one.
I average €50 a week but usually do 2 lots of shopping since fruit and milk don't keep long. I'm trying to reduce it to €40 a week by doing one bigger shop and only going to buy milk/fruit the second time.

Back