Australia - Has every Irish person under 35 been there?

PaperRound

Is Australia the most visited country by young Irish people? It seems that everyone I know has been there, particularly since the Millennium. Just wondering if its the same across the AAM users. Does anyone think it will go the way of the US and fall out of favour?

Has every Irish Person under 35 been there? Yes, probably a big percentage. Not under 35 myself unfortunately, but am a big fan.

Will it fall out of favour? Probably not, sure they have similarities with American society, but with Kevin Rudd in power, society and definitely the economy will not so 'aggressive'.

Nope. I've been to UK dozens of times and to USA 7 times but never Oz.
Most of my mates have been to USA but few have been to Oz.

My brother lived in Melbourne for a year.

Does anyone think it will go the way of the US and fall out of favour?

Not sure if I would agree that it has fallen out of favour. Do you mean for holidays or for a year working abroad?

In terms of working abroad Oz is more popular because its easier to get the documentation and there is big demand for workers, the US has become very strict on immigration over the last decade.

Is Australia the most visited country by young Irish people?

I spent 12 years there (Sydney) with most of my friends from Ireland coming over at one time or another, either for a holiday or on a year visa.

My two cousins are over there for 3 years on and off. they come home once in a while but much prefer it over there

For Students anyway - I think alot of them do a J1 in the states when in college and then depending on career path alot do a year in OZ after college. Met my missus there so go back every few years.
Mind you I have not been to the States in 9 years and no real interest to go back there anytime soon.

Slightly :rolleyes: over 35 and have never been to Oz, not even for holidays.....it's on the list though!

I'm under 35 and have been to Oz for a year, great craic. the ladies love the accent even if they can't understand all you say, which may be a good thing!

the reason its preferred to ireland for under 35's is the weather, the women and the beach

Yep. Great place. Spent 2005 there and have gone every year since. Far enough away to be seem exotic yet easy to get around and get work etc.

Spent a year there myself and yeah - it's a great country. I'd live there if it was closer, but if it was closer it'd probably be ruined.

beer, bondi and box

Hey jimbob1234,

was that box jellyfish you were talking about, I'd say you came home with a bit of a stinging sensation alright!

PS I think lauren was being sarcastic calling you classy:rolleyes:

Back