Key Post Attic Conversion.

Re: Legalities of Attic Conversions

gianni - you really need to go to your solicitor at this point! EA's do not know about legal implications - they may pretend to - but all they are interested in at the end of the day is their fee! This certificate is very important and your solicitor will advise you in the matter once he has sight of contracts and copy title from the vendors solicitors - your solicitor will then correspond with the vendors solicitor to agree what should be done - if the vendor has to produce the certificate it can be treated as a special condition in the contract! PLEASE please do not deal with the EA further in the matter - they will not be able to advise you properly - engage a solicitor straight away!

also if it comes to light that this certificate is most definitely needed the vendor will have to produce it to whoever he sells the property to, he will not be able to sell the property without it - so really he should be worrying more about all this and should be discussing the matter with his solicitor!

put it to the auctioneers that you will pay your booking deposit subject to contracts being issued to your solicitors, subject to the matter of this Certificate of Compliance being looked into and subject to survey! Go see your solicitor then when he get contracts and get his advise before you pay out money for your survey!

Thanks for the advice Aimee! :)

I realise that the estate agent isn't acting in my interests and will say (almost) anything to get his % from his client.

I was just trying to avoid the futility of paying €'s for a solicitor then paying €'s for my own survey but then still have the unresolvable problem of the cert - leading to no sale and me being down a few hundred quid.

But the more I think about it, (and the more I read responses like yours), I really have no alternative and have to take the chance that I will lose €'s but proceed with the normal property buying process, regardless...

I suppose, in my heart of hearts, I know that it's really a matter for my solicitor and the vendor's solicitor to thrash out. I was probably taking an overly simplistic view with my 'cut-to-the-chase' mentality on the cert.

Tricky lark this house buying game... ;)

Advice on Loft Conversion

I currently own and live in Boroimhe Swords in a three bed duplex apartment. The block has 4 thee bed duplex apartments on top (one of which i live in) and 4 single story two bed apartments underneath. I pay block insurance and believe I dont actually own the external structure of the block??
Can I get a loft conversion done? I would prefer if velux windows could be put in, however if allowed I would get it done anyway without them. Is it a legal requirment that they have to be put in as a fire escape or something, although in this case you would be jumping from over 3 floors up !!!
Any help or recommendations of builders who do this and the price you can expect to pay would be appreciated.

Re: Key Post: Attic Conversion.

Could "Dub75" please give name and contact details of builder he/she used to convert attic? Thank you

Re: Key Post: Attic Conversion.

We are thinking of getting our attic converted but only for use for a PC so a small / tiny office. Dont want plumbing or heating just a skylight and plugs and phone extension

Anyone got any numbers for any one that can do this in the Dublin area
Just looking at quotes for the moment

I concur with previous,

I'd make sure the owner gets a structural engineers cert of compliance. otherwise you are only asking for trouble especially when you go to sell. such a cert providing all is in order would only cost about €700. It may be worth while for you to get a structral engineer to have a look and use it to beat them down on price?

Back