Athy Co. Kildare

cmalone

At coffee break, a guy in office was saying he got job offer in Athy. Is it a nice town? Where to live? any comments

I'm heading there this weeknd to the Carlton hotel. From what I heard it's real small but hopefully will be nice!

They have a website, but I don't know if it would be much help.

addob

My wife's aunt bought a house there 2yrs ago and has since sold it and moved away - her reasons quote "too rough". This person is a salt of the earth type and would not say that lightly. No disrespect to anyway one who lives there.

Maybe where the lady bought the house was a particular part of town. I understand Athy is of average size for an Irish town, so some parts may be more attractive etc. But I'm sure overall, it's a 'normal' town with all the usual good things that come with that- shopping, community, social life etc

I've no axe to grind with Athy there's good and bad everywhere if you ask me, but I've double checked with my wife and it was the town itself which was described as "too rough" the estate was fine.
That's my two cents!
For anyone considering moving down there I'd advise checking it out further.

I've no axe to grind with Athy there's good and bad everywhere if you ask me, but I've double checked with my wife and it was the town itself which was described as "too rough" the estate was fine.
That's my two cents!
For anyone considering moving down there I'd advise checking it out further.

I too have heard it described as "too rough" and that from someone who has worked there for over 10 years. He said to me recently he wouldn't move there if he was given a million euro (I'm sure he would though - for a million - and as previous posters have said its a normal Irish town , so I'm sure it has a lot of good points- just passing on what I was told. Any time I've driven through it it looked really nice)

Yes- all i know is when i drive throught it, it looks nice, as towns go- and some nice pubs/ restaurants when we stopped from time to time

Ive lived in athy for the past 2 and a half years and i think the town is lovely and quiet,i havent encountered any rough elements at all in the town or in our estate. Like everywhere there is teenagers that hang about but other than that ive seen or heard nothing. I think because it used to be a barracks town many years ago it may have had a ! rough" name attached to it but to my knowledge its completly untrue. Its an average size town with lots of little shops and resturants and new developments are being planned for the town centre to modernise it more i.e Woodies and a shopping mall ect! Judging by the increasing amount of commuters in the mornings and evenings many people are still buying houses here due to the good price and its easily commutiable.
People are really friendly, in fact alot of Dubs have moved down and have commented on how nice it is to have people stop you to say hi or have a chat instead of ignoring you!
Just my two cents.

Lived down the road from Athy and had a lot of experience of it. It's on the small side and some of the pubs are a bit divey - though not all of them.

It has to be said that the town has pretty much everything, but IMHO there tends to be just one or two of everything, which means there's not much choice.

I think efforts have been made to beautify the place and I found Athy nicer than Portlaoise, but I also thought Carlow was nicer than them both.

All of these smaller towns tend to be described as 'rough' - particularly at night - though I think in practice one is no rougher than another and its just a reflection of Irish nightlife and our love of the drop.

Back