Asking for the job - do or do not?

ci1

I am in a dilemma which I need some opinions on. I had 2 interviews last week. One job I really would like, the other not so much but I would take it becasue I'm out of work because of redundancy 4 months and finding things tough.

The one I wasn't to keen on have offered me the job at 7k less than what it was advertised for, the agency said they decided they could not stretch the money, I didn't get a great feel for the place either. They have offered me the job and have been waiting for a decision since Friday, I need to let them know today.

The other one was last Thursday, she said she would be in touch very soon about second round interviews but still no word from her yet. Is it pushy or unprofessional to contact her and explain the situation and ask her if I am in the running for the job...if so I will wait, if not I can accept the other offer.

I don't want to put her off by putting her under pressure or being pushy, but I'm afraid I could end up with no job if I don't act today.

Thanks,

If I were you I would accept the job offer and agree a start date. If you subsequently receive the other job offer then just go back to the original and renage.

If I was receiving the phone call (as the potential employer) and it was professionaly and honestly explained I would be honest with you and not think you were pushy but rather, straight. However they are talking about second interviews rather than a decision on a candidate so I doubt they could commit to you at this stage especially if it meant you were refusing alternative offers on the basis of them saying you are a strong contender. Just accept the other job and if the one you want comes through then take that?? Or use it as leverage by saying you are waiting to hear from a position that will pay more. Maybe they'll reconsider that 7k?

I don't want to put her off by putting her under pressure or being pushy, but I'm afraid I could end up with no job if I don't act today...
Its always easier to get a job when you have a job. Take the first offer as already suggested.

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to accept the job, the company did not go to second round interview stage and make me an offer based on my first interview. They did not ask me about holidays on the first interview and I did not tell them I had some booked becasue I think thats second interview criteria. When I accepted the offer the agency told them I had a holiday booked and they have now withdrawn the job offer. They said it was with deep regret and offered apologies but that me not being there for 2 weeks was not an option as the Ops manager was taking holidays on the same 2 weeks.

Got my 2nd interview with the other company which was this morning, I feel it went well but it is between me and another candidate and I will know tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed.

Just thought I'd give an update, thanks all.

Hope it works out well. Best of luck with it. It's a tricky business job hunting

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to accept the job, the company did not go to second round interview stage and make me an offer based on my first interview. They did not ask me about holidays on the first interview and I did not tell them I had some booked becasue I think thats second interview criteria. When I accepted the offer the agency told them I had a holiday booked and they have now withdrawn the job offer. They said it was with deep regret and offered apologies but that me not being there for 2 weeks was not an option as the Ops manager was taking holidays on the same 2 weeks.

Got my 2nd interview with the other company which was this morning, I feel it went well but it is between me and another candidate and I will know tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed.

Just thought I'd give an update, thanks all.

TBH, sounds like a company i wouldnt like to work for..

TWhen I accepted the offer the agency told them I had a holiday booked and they have now withdrawn the job offer. They said it was with deep regret and offered apologies but that me not being there for 2 weeks was not an option as the Ops manager was taking holidays on the same 2 weeks.
Did they give you the option of rescheduling your holidays?

It wouldnt seem like it.

Good luck, I hope you get something out of the other one. You were right to accept the first that came along.

Hi, no they never gave me any options, they just withdrew the offer.

and yes Chrisboy I agree, I didn't get a good feeling, the interview process was weird, they asked odd questions, dropped the salary by €7k, made an offer then withdrew it, those points along with some other minor things make me think it would not have been the ideal place for me anyway.

Back