Asked for PIN for low cost item

Mamamia22

Just wondering if it’s usual to get asked for debit card pin when paying €20. It was a third tapped transaction in a day. Declined and then asked the enter PIN by the retailer. Realised there was an internal CCTV over my shoulder which could have recorded my PIN entry. Is it odd ? Should card be stopped ?

I was on the Sbahn in Berlin. The payment was made using a hand held card reader device. The transaction was contactless. The staff member insisted I keyed in my 4 digit pin, eventhough card NOT entered into device and it was contactless. He was genuinely an employee but I thought it bizarre.

I was on the Sbahn in Berlin. The payment was made using a hand held card reader device. The transaction was contactless. The staff member insisted I keyed in my 4 digit pin, eventhough card NOT entered into device and it was contactless. He was genuinely an employee but I thought it bizarre.
In Germany you can essentially tap for any amount (even above €50) but also need to provide the pin.
There’s rarely a need to put the card into the device therefore.

Contactless doesn’t mean no pin, generally speaking. It depends on the requirements of the payment service provider.
So it can and will differ.

I use my phone and Revolut. I rarely get asked for my pin? It's certainly not every third transaction?

Is the phone more secure and more efficient in this regard?

Brendan

I use my phone and Revolut. I rarely get asked for my pin? It's certainly not every third transaction?

Brendan
I don’t think I ever got asked for my pin when tapping the card here in Ireland.
Phone tapping is essentially the same as card tapping from a user perspective. (Ignoring technical details)

Brendan
I don't think you ever get asked for a pin when using your phone. I have to unlock my phone to use the card so I assumed that was considered sufficient security.

its perfectly normal to get asked for your PIN after a certain volume of transactions, its an additional security feature driven by the payment providers and banks algorythms

This is how my Irish credit card reader works either for transactions above €50 or when the customer has tapped too often.The card doesn't need to be inserted .

Brendan
Could be wrong but don't you have to use finger scan or face id to get into your phone's wallet? In that case it suffices as extra security

The reason a phone doesn't get asked for a pin is because the phone has to have a lock set on it and this must be disabled to use the payment wallet, pin, fingerprint etc. It's also why there is no €50 limit on phone payments.

But you can tap a card and be asked to enter a pin. Some new ATMs have a contactless reader, rather than a slot for your card. You can tap your cards and enter your pin to withdraw.

Apple Pay or Google Pay with face ID is more secure than physical card with PIN, yes.

It’s more useful to think of Apple Pay and Google Pay as a kind of security layer between your card and the POS terminal. They are known as “pass-through wallets” as they don’t hold a balance or assume credit risk.

That's how it works in Portugal for example. Contactless plus PIN.

A lot of card terminals in Ireland seem pretty old and don’t seem to support contactless use of PIN.

Common in a lot of Europe.

A lot of card terminals in Ireland seem pretty old and don’t seem to support contactless use of PIN.

Common in a lot of Europe.
It's not the terminals that make the requirements, it's the merchant processors and issuing banks that dictate that.

I have a key fob payment. I can make payments for over €50 with it but it requires pin entry. Doesn't matter what machine it is, a pin will be asked for if I spend over €50.

For Portugal it's a max of €150 or 5 transactions before a pin must be entered.
Details

Back