Arklow or Gorey

Mag2006

Hi,

Just looking for opinions, we are looking at properties in both towns and wonder what is the nicer to live in. I have heard better about Gorey so far and not so great about Arklow but if anyone can give me an honest opinion that would be great. We have 2 young children under 4 so location and good area to bring them up in is essential.
Thanks, M!.

IMHO, Gorey is miles better than Arklow:-

Property prices are lower than in Arklow;
Less drug and anti-social problems in Gorey;
Better for shopping;
Close to seaside area / amusements / Splashworld at Courtown for the kids;
The Gorey bypass is well underway and will take a huge amount of traffic away from the town;
Lots of good restaurants and pubs - Floods's and Jack D's have good food;
There's a large new health centre nearing completion;
There are plans to build a cinema.

See [broken link removed]on boards.ie for others' opinions.

I spend a lot of time in Gorey and can say that I wouldn't mind living there myself. I would not consider living in Arklow.

Do you have to commute?

I know both towns, there are advantages to both.
Arklow - seaside, employment, good schools, lots of new development including multiplex.

Gorey - more community spirit, affordable, good shopping, good bars and restaurants.

I wouldn't dream of commuting from Gorey to Dublin though.

I live in Arklow and commute to tallaght at the moment. Up to last year I was commuting to Trinity enteprise ceter beside bolands Dublin 2

Currently the commute from Arklow is 1 hour under normal conditions, with rain 0r a crash it can be more intereting.

In saying that Gorey must be at least an extra 30 mins each way.

I know both as the folks are from down that direction so I would say it is a toss up between them for quality of life.

The traffic in Gorey would upset me. Shopping pubs etc, about the same for both.

I suppose difference in price could be the decider.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Back