Argos to leave Irish market

Definitely been planned for a while. They have been shutting shops and reducing stock in ones that remained for over a year now. It was getting progressively harder and harder to actually buy from them.

Yeah the argos catalogue was the precursor to Santa's letter for many a year here. But as others have said, this has been coming. I went in over the Christmas and the place was empty (of staff and everything else). It was like walking into an almost empty warehouse. Online deliveries were the end of them here.

Yes sad to see but having said that I can't remember the last time that I was in Argos or on their website
But have fond memories of the yearly catalogue back in the eighties and nineties, it was my search engine pre Google

Sad day indeed but not unexpected. Very few customers instore, lack of stock and models of machines that appeared to be out of date. Since Sainsburys took it over it has gone downhill.

Suppose a trip up North if there was something that you really wanted but with travel expenses probably not worth the bother. Do recall though down through the years reserving games etc. for the kids that were not available elsewhere especially coming up to Christmas.

As a consumer the thought of shopping in Argos was more interesting/novel than the shopping itself. Another B&M "retailer" falling foul of ecommerce in my mind despite the reasoning cited in their press release.

Yes sad to see but having said that I can't remember the last time that I was in Argos or on their website
But have fond memories of the yearly catalogue back in the eighties and nineties, it was my search engine pre Google
There was a guy on UK telly who has collected all the cateloges. They are in some university.

I have one, decided to keep the the last one they published but its damaged.

I thought they'd become very sticky on returns, in recent years. Put me off them for expensive items.

I think they strategically let the Irish arm wither over the last 3 or 4 year.

It is a pity they are leaving, always found them competitive and particularly convenient for me locally.

One thing that always struck me as odd was that Argos never appeared in Google searches unless it was specifically included in the search terms. They were surely losing market share by just not being visible online

Back