Argos Furniture

Luckycharm

Just wondering has anyone got Argos furniture - what was the quality like etc? Like the look of some stuff in the brochure but always wary of buying something without seeing it first.

Try doing a search here, there are a number of previous threads. They also point out that Homebase carry the same lines, so you can always go there to check them out first. See here.
Leo

Hi Luckycharm,

we got a bookcase in argos, was reasonably priced but warped horribly after time. I can tell you one gem of a place to get furniture, but I do like things that are old and have character... oxfam home on Francis st Dublin. Only problem is you have to make lots of trips cos the stock changes all the time. We got a gorgeous unusual big cabinet for 40 quid, but you do need transport or you can pay for a courier. second hand isn't everyones cup of tea so just a suggestion!

Don't do it!!

We bought nursery furniture from there 4 years ago. Had terrible problems with delivery. Customer service was dreadful. And furniture despite being put together as well as it possibly could was a joke. Cot was solid but lets just say I've had to resist the temptation to take an axe to the remaining pieces.

There are cheaper more solid alternatives out there.

I bought some beds from them.

I waited around 4 months for delivery, despite their advertised 14 days.

The bolts on the frame of a metal bed frame went completely rusty after about 5 months. They were reasonably efficient to remedy this, but would replace only the affected parts, i.e., bolts, slats which had started to in turn go rusty, mattress.

I had to disassemble the bed and pray that they would turn up when they said they would (in fairness they did).

I have absolutely no idea why the bolts went rusty, the room wasn't damp, nor was the mattress.

I've bought sofas and beds from them before still going strong, sofas are 5 years old beds are 2 years old no problems so far

Avoid the beds I would say.
We bought a child's bed and the runners for the slats were so badly warped it was impossible to just screw them in using the screws supplied.

We ended up drilling holes and putting in bolts to prevent the runner coming off.

In an unusual move they also delivered 2 mattresses for the one bed. Couldn't understand it, but it wasn't a mistake.

Thanks for the advice, I am looking for Bedside lockers, Set of drawers for clothes and nest of tables. Any other suggestions in Dublin?

Does anyone else find the bottoms seems to fall out very easily in drawers especially if relying on Wood glue. I seem to be trying to put them all back together the whole time :mad:

I bought a tv table, bookcase and kitchen table and chairs in argos and found them great.

In a previous life my landlord bought the couches from argos and they were grand also - 4 years and still going fine.

Does anyone else find the bottoms seems to fall out very easily in drawers especially if relying on Wood glue. I seem to be trying to put them all back together the whole time :mad:

Six years ago I bought a 'temporary' chest of drawers in Argos and the only problem with it was the bottom of one drawer kept falling out.

I finally resorted to No More Nails adhesive which has kept the drawer in working order ever since. I weighed down the drawer to ensure it stuck properly.

Six years ago I bought a 'temporary' chest of drawers in Argos and the only problem with it was the bottom of one drawer kept falling out.

I finally resorted to No More Nails adhesive which has kept the drawer in working order ever since. I weighed down the drawer to ensure it stuck properly.

That is the problem I have bottom of the drawers keep falling out - no more nails is that good stuff I might try that.

I have bought and assembled for others quite a few bits of furniture from Argos and most of it was fine. Obviously you get what you pay for to some extent - e.g. the cheapest items may only be suitable for occassional/light use. However our bed, bedside units and computer desk are pretty sturdy and weren't the most expensive in the catalog at the time (some time in the last 10 years). Also - as with any flat pack units if you get somebody who doesn't bother reading the instructions or pay much attention to how they should be assembled then chances are the results will be disappointing.

That is the problem I have bottom of the drawers keep falling out - no more nails is that good stuff I might try that.

You'll find NMN in any hardware store. It comes in a variety of tubes - see http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/unibond/nomorenails.html. I prefer the cartridge version which comes with a screw cap these days meaning it won't dry out. I'd never thought of it for the drawers until I'd used it to re-fit an awkward piece of skirting. Watch out though, it's strong stuff!

Clubman is right about following the instructions carefully. It always amazes me how so many people can't assemble flat packs. They're Lego for grown-ups.

I bought chest of drawers in argos and same thing with the bottoms of drawers falling out. Have replaced it with chest of drawers from world of pine in Blanchardstown village, no connection, and they are solid made and seem good to me. They were also a good bit cheaper than the usual shops. Got a chest of drawers with 4 large drawers, 2 small and 2 even smaller drawers for €360. The did have cheaper ones there that would do for the likes of kids rooms.

Back