Argon in double glazing blocking wireless broadband signal

Somebody should get on to clear wire for suggesting destroying a window.

That is the worst advise I have ever heard.

Very unprofessional. Whoever came up with that advise should be fired.

What about getting BB from NTL

With respect to the original supposition, I'd say it unlikely that argon has a direct influence on microwave transmission. It's an inert gas and therefore comprised of single atoms rather than molecules - microwave heating for cooking conveys energy of rotation on water molecules since they have an anisotropy (an electrical dipole) which matches the electric field of the radiation. There is no dipole in a symmetrical atom (unless I guess you apply an external field) and hence no method for absorption. It is much more likely that a coating or the double thickness of glass itself is to blame.

(all those years in the lab weren't wasted...)

With respect to the original supposition, I'd say it unlikely that argon has a direct influence on microwave transmission. It's an inert gas and therefore comprised of single atoms rather than molecules - microwave heating for cooking conveys energy of rotation on water molecules since they have an anisotropy (an electrical dipole) which matches the electric field of the radiation. There is no dipole in a symmetrical atom (unless I guess you apply an external field) and hence no method for absorption. It is much more likely that a coating or the double thickness of glass itself is to blame.

(all those years in the lab weren't wasted...)

Well, I cant argue with that!!! :)

I suggest that you send this one to Mythbusters - they have a "suggest a myth" on their site. I would love to see Jamie and Adam on this. Would probably build a window with a 1-metre gap filled with argon, and prove that it has no effect.

Back