Are we becoming a nation of Begrudgers?

I work hard and as a single person large chunks of my hard earned salary are going to the state to be distributed to the less fortunate ones or to provide services I mostly can’t or won’t use and while I complain about it, I think it’s needed, even if we could save some money by modernizing our public infra-structure.

The money that is left at the end of all deductions is there to support me and to enjoy my life for which I work hard. If I decide I want to go out 2 times a week to Dinner or have a long holiday in faraway destinations than that is my right and nobody has the right to complain about it.

Just because it’s recession does not mean that I should stop living or hide my life style, it’s my life style that keeps my cleaning lady, my gardener, my travel agent and a couple of restaurant staff in gainful employment.

Sure, I also reduced some outgoings by saving more (just in case I also will be unfortunate), I now pay for an additional unemployment insurance and I pay more to my retirement fund, but overall I will not reduce my life just because people around me (who ran off getting unrealistic mortgages) are complaining about me.

If they wish to do my job and see large chunks of their money go to the state, they are welcome to apply, I know we have a couple of jobs in the same salary level we can’t fill because we can’t find qualified candidates.

According to my father and his father its an Irish trait and has been evident for generations maybe even since the Garden of Eden (particularly if there were two or more Irish people there).....I say ignore the begrugers and do your own thing.

According to my father and his father its an Irish trait and has been evident for generations maybe even since the Garden of Eden (particularly if there were two or more Irish people there).....I say ignore the begrugers and do your own thing.

+1

Begrudgery is our natural state. It’s a national characteristic, just as desirable as alcoholism or child abuse and may hold us back more than ever.
The Celtic Tiger turned out to be a paper tiger but, for a few years, it gave us a glimpse of what could be if we work hard and stop taking such pleasure in the misfortune of others. Now we are back to resenting the hell out of those who have more than us despite the fact that they probably work harder and are smarter than we are. It’s like the last ten years just didn’t happen.

I work hard and large chunks of my hard earned salary are going to the state to be distributed to the less fortunate ones or to provide services I mostly can’t or won’t use and while I complain about it, I think it’s needed, even if we could save some money by modernizing our public infra-structure.

The money that is left at the end of all deductions is there to support me and to enjoy my life for which I work hard. If I decide I want to go out 2 times a week to Dinner or have a long holiday in faraway destinations than that is my right and nobody has the right to complain about it.

Just because it’s recession does not mean that I should stop living or hide my life style, it’s my life style that keeps my cleaning lady, my gardener, my travel agent and a couple of restaurant staff in gainful employment.

Sure, I also reduced some outgoings by saving more (just in case I also will be unfortunate), I now pay for an additional unemployment insurance and I pay more to my retirement fund, but overall I will not reduce my life just because people around me (who ran off getting unrealistic mortgages) are complaining about me.

My sentiments exactly. Nicely put DublinTexas.

I had several conversations about this over Christmas with various people who feel that (despite their hard work over the past years) they can't justify buying a new car, or make any other similar financially conspicuous outlay, because of how it might make others feel. To me, this attitude beggars belief. I work incredibly hard. Before that, I studied incredibly hard and (at the risk of sounding sanctimonious) was careful throughout that entire period of education not to get into debt. To feel I have to defend how I spend my hard earned money in my free because of the begrudgers out there, really really bugs me.

I got my new Car in March 09 and have had some nasty comments and random people cutting me up, sticking up fingers etc.. .

That's really really nasty. Shocking. What a dreadful way to behave.

I thought the boom would have changed the mindset in Ireland. That we had moved forward in our thinking.

We've been told by several people that we don't know how lucky we are being abroad, no one ever mentioned that to us during the boom. One relation was really angry with us for not understanding what it was like not to have a job as though it was our fault for the decisions they had taken in life.

That's really really nasty. Shocking. What a dreadful way to behave.

I thought the boom would have changed the mindset in Ireland. That we had moved forward in our thinking.

We've been told by several people that we don't know how lucky we are being abroad, no one ever mentioned that to us during the boom. One relation was really angry with us for not understanding what it was like not to have a job as though it was our fault for the decisions they had taken in life.

Wait till this years car arrives - it will be more of the same.

DublinTexas has the right idea allright. I actually find most of the begrudgers are people who did well in Celtic Tiger, but have now had to cut back, while it would appear to them that some others haven't. The kind of "how can she still afford that and I cant" mentality.

Wait till this years car arrives - it will be more of the same.

DublinTexas has the right idea allright. I actually find most of the begrudgers are people who did well in Celtic Tiger, but have now had to cut back, while it would appear to them that some others haven't. The kind of "how can she still afford that and I cant" mentality.

that was my point MandaC, I should have put it across better. I am not a begrudger, if you have done well or been lucky in life, well all the best.

Live and let live

There is definitely more people who feel its ok to complain about everything these days.

Take the recent awful weather. We now have people on the radio and news complaining that the pavements around the country aren't gritted. The frigging pavements !! So they expect all the pavements in the country to be gritted. Whatever happened to taking care and going easy on them when they are slippy? Thats what would have been said when I was younger, but now people feel they just want everything, and don't seem to realise the logistics and cost involved in this recent bad weather.

We are being told this is the worst cold spell since 1981. Now, I was 13 in that year and vaguely remember the cold weather. But I doubt that we got wall to wall TV and radio coverage of it, with 24hr running news stories, and people complaining about the fact that their pavements were slippery !!

Sometimes I despair for the country when so many are so bloody helpless.

There is definitely more people who feel its ok to complain about everything these days.

Take the recent awful weather. We now have people on the radio and news complaining that the pavements around the country aren't gritted. The frigging pavements !! So they expect all the pavements in the country to be gritted. Whatever happened to taking care and going easy on them when they are slippy? Thats what would have been said when I was younger, but now people feel they just want everything, and don't seem to realise the logistics and cost involved in this recent bad weather.

We are being told this is the worst cold spell since 1981. Now, I was 13 in that year and vaguely remember the cold weather. But I doubt that we got wall to wall TV and radio coverage of it, with 24hr running news stories, and people complaining about the fact that their pavements were slippery !!

Sometimes I despair for the country when so many are so bloody helpless.

A big +1.

I have never seen a generation of more mollycoddled, helpless people.

If everybody got out today or say the weekend and took a snow shovel and brush and took all the snow from off their pavements then that would be people helping themselves and each other.

A campaign to get everyone to clear their own pavements and shops too. If everyone did their bit it would make the world a better place. Wouldn't that be a nice thing for everybody to do. Kind of the UK war spirit.

MandyC I can't believe you're getting a new car one year after the other one, whatever for?:confused: I treated myself to a new car 4 years ago and it's going strong, can't bear parting with the money :( so no new car for me but I could if I wanted to :) I'm going to buy a new dressing table and maybe double glazing though :p Should have got the double glazing in last year:mad: but can afford the heating and have two duvets plus hot water bottle and hubby who is going around in shorts with the amount of heat in the house and bed :D

If everybody got out today or say the weekend and took a snow shovel and brush and took all the snow from off their pavements then that would be people helping themselves and each other.

A campaign to get everyone to clear their own pavements and shops too. If everyone did their bit it would make the world a better place. Wouldn't that be a nice thing for everybody to do. Kind of the UK war spirit.

MandyC I can't believe you're getting a new car one year after the other one, whatever for?:confused: I treated myself to a new car 4 years ago and it's going strong, can't bear parting with the money :( so no new car for me but I could if I wanted to :) I'm going to buy a new dressing table and maybe double glazing though :p Should have got the double glazing in last year:mad: but can afford the heating and have two duvets plus hot water bottle and hubby who is going around in shorts with the amount of heat in the house and bed :D

I cleared my own pavement and driveway in the street last week. It took approx 2hrs and it was hard work as there was about an inch of solid ice covering it all.

Only one other person did it in the street.

But why would all the lazy good-for-nothings get off their arses and do that, when you can just sit in front of the TV and moan about it to anyone they meet? Or better still, call into a radio show and vent your anger at the fact that this useless Gov hasn't gritted the front of my house.

The pavement issue is a very valid point. We seem to live in a car-centric society, where the needs of anyone who uses public transport or (god forbid) walks or cycles is largely ignored, and generally given much lower priority than car users.

There is a very valid point here in relation to the priority and resources dedicated to keeping the roads free, while ignoring paths and pedestrians.

I would agree with the general point about personal responsibility to keep your own pavement clear, but unless/until this is implemented in law, pedestrians are left navigating treacherous ice rinks regardless of how much care they take. I had one fall yesterday in Dublin city centre, and I was taking it easy and taking care.

There was an item on the news yesterday (already mentioned on another thread) about the fact that, if you clear the space outside your gate and someone has an accident because of the way you cleared it, you could be legally responsible. That's hardly going to encourage people to get out with their spades and brushes and try to be helpful.

There was an item on the news yesterday (already mentioned on another thread) about the fact that, if you clear the space outside your gate and someone has an accident because of the way you cleared it, you could be legally responsible. That's hardly going to encourage people to get out with their spades and brushes and try to be helpful.
Yep - the legal principle is known as 'feasance' afaik - same applies to potholes - see http://www.goreyguardian.ie/news/car-damaged-by-a-pothole-take-it-up-with-god-1639372.html

I don't know if a court would really, really allow a claim against a householder in such circumstances. The courts have been generally sensible on compo decisions recently.

So called Celtic Tiger...
Everybody loving life....

Recession hit...

Maybe its just me but i am sick and tired of people commenting about others actions..

Oh look at them going on holiday in a recession
Oh look at them buying a new wardrobe in a recession

and so on...

Rant over.

Becoming!!

A big +1.

I have never seen a generation of more mollycoddled, helpless people.

Agree. All some people want to do these days is blame others.

People in my workplace putting down "force majeure" on timesheets last week when not turning up for work. Aparently it means an Act of God and we are entitled to 3 days a year or some such. My company probably wont be solvent by end of year, what will they put on timesheets then?

I cleared my own pavement and driveway in the street last week. It took approx 2hrs and it was hard work as there was about an inch of solid ice covering it all.

We did that last Saturday, in freezing temperatures, I though it would be too cold to do but I had to take off my coat the work made me so hot. Only real exercise I got as I don't like cycling or walking in cold weather.

I put down salt for the pedestrains and have swept it after freezes etc since and put down more salt. If people don't have snow boots they can put a pair of large socks over their shoes to prevent slipping.

I heard a Minister on the radio saying that people who cleared paths would not be liable if someone fell.

The major shift I've noticed in begrudgery is that you're now made to feel guilty about being in employment and that you have to think twice about mentioning anything at all to do with work in any negative aspect.

Is it fair to say that's begrudgery? I dunno, maybe that's harsh, it's just it isn't my fault that I've still got a job, so why should I be made to feel guilty?

What generation is that then? It seems to be older people who do most of the moaning and whinging, nobody I know under thirty goes in for much bitching about the government and all, or for that matter for much begrudgery. Its the 40+ generation that seem to be the driving force there.....

I thought about that and yes, I think you are right.

Back