Are TV Licences back dated?

my tv licence ran out end of Jan, didnt get around to getting another one until end of feb and it was automatically put from end of Jan to end of Jan, even though i never said anything about when it ran out, just asked for a licence

I recall taking out my first TV license and in my naivety I did it on March 28. The following year I got the reminder and went to the local post office in early April and was told it had to be renewed from March 1. So I had basically lost out on 4 weeks license money so I refused to pay.

Not satisfied with this I phoned the head post office in the county and when I couldnt get any satisfaction from the guy who took my call I told him I didnt have a TV for the full month of March as it was broke. He told me that it didnt make any difference as I would have had an aerial up so therefore I had to pay as they requested. I said to him - do you remember that bit of a storm we had a few weeks ago, well it blew the aerial down. He burst out laughing, told me to go back to the local PO the next day and he would ring them in advance to advise that I could renew from April 1.

In reply to the OP just make sure you take the license out on the first of the month.

Back