Are Top Dvds and Tvs the ones to buy?

bskinti

I'm talking about Sony and Pioneer, especially at this time of year when people are making their mind up for a big purchase, My 2nd Pioneer cinema system has croaked in 2 years and Sony 32" has gone after 4 years, thats a total of £2100 and €650 spent since Christmas 02. Would that be value for money?. I'm not saying they can't be repaired but nobody wants to fix them, Anyone else as lucky?

Got a telly when I got married over 10 years ago. Still working. Wife won a video in a raffle a few years earlier. Still working. Bought a multi-region DVD from Power City for €59 a few years ago. Still working. Saved myself about 3K by the sounds of things. Bargain.

z

p.s. I could do with a video head cleaner if anyone knows where to get them. They seem to be like turntable styluses (stylii or whatever) - no demand these days, so nobody stocks them.

p.p.s. I still have my grandparents 1950something Pilot combo radio/turntable - cutting edge stuff for its time, but dead hard to link up to the amp in the stereo . . . thing it was referred to as a radiogram.

Bought a cheapo 21" Black Diamond TV 11 years ago and it's still going strong.

I'm not saying they can't be repaired but nobody wants to fix them, Anyone else as lucky?

My ALDI TV recently broke down. I was going to bin it but the waste of dumping something the first time it broke down really annoyed me. I hate this throwaway society that we live in today.

I took it to Bright Televison (TV video sales and service, 1 Springlawn Drive, Blanchardstown ph 8211587) and he repaired it for me. He only kept it for a day.

He said that the TV wasn't a bad one, was made in Turkey, as many other mainsteam TV's are. He also warned me that buying the latest LCD's TV could bring problems of its own as they are starting to come into him for repair. They are just out of guarantee and the parts are extremely expensive. It can cost up to E800 for a repair. I suppose, forewarned is forearmed, and maybe the extended warranties, which are normally terrible value, might be worth investigating in the case of these high value TVs.

For myself, I think I'll stick with tried and tested technology for the moment.

Murt

My Ferguson 21" which I bought in PowerCity will be exactly 14 years old tomorrow. It cost me €493.93 (£389) and is still working although it does switch itself off every week or two of it's own accord but picture and sound are perfect.

having worked for a company that had outsourced the manufacturing process, our products were produced in the same factory in china as all our competitors! So often when people talk about x brand being better quality than y brand they can be produced side by side!
I was always told not to buy the first generation of any new gadget as you are often the testing ground! The LCD / plasma / overhead projector will arrive in this house in a couple of years, after everyone else has suffered the short life of the initial offerings ;-)

Bought a Mitsubishi 28 inch about 3 years ago and no problems. Paid about 350 for it in the sales.

I reckon a lot of the times it depends on look of the draw. I used to Work in a big superstore & any time i was going to buy a product, lets say a tv. I would look up the 2 or 3 that i was interested in on the computer system. I'd then calculate the returns/damages to sales ratio. You'd be surprised how many of the so called big name brands are returned damaged/broken compared to the other 'cheaper' brands. Unfortunately, i don't have that luxury anymore.

Sometimes, like a car, a known model maybe well known for causing problems. Personally, nowadays, i just look up the specification of the product and go for the one with the best specification in my price range. Then hope for the best :p

The web is another great tool with all the user reviews that are out there on each product.

having worked for a company that had outsourced the manufacturing process, our products were produced in the same factory in china as all our competitors! So often when people talk about x brand being better quality than y brand they can be produced side by side!
I was always told not to buy the first generation of any new gadget as you are often the testing ground! The LCD / plasma / overhead projector will arrive in this house in a couple of years, after everyone else has suffered the short life of the initial offerings ;-)

We're hardly at first generation still are we. I mean plasma's/lcd's & projectors have been around for years now at this stage!!

We're hardly at first generation still are we. I mean plasma's/lcd's & projectors have been around for years now at this stage!!

Indeed, LCD and plasma technology has been around since the 60's, the latest TVs use 8th and 9th generation panels respectively. So a long way from the bleeding edge there...

My only objection to a SONY DVD player is the Region-protection they operate.

I will only buy multi-region DVD players as I feel the regionalisation of DVD products is a cynical marketing ploy designed to over-price the products, at the customers' expense.

Back