Are low energy LED based downlighters available in shops yet

GeneralZod

I'm looking for the low energy equivalent of the GU10 downlighter. The normal light takes 50W and the low energy version based on LEDs 4W.

I've seen them on eBay but not yet in any shop here.

They are available in most wholesalers now, but not 4W, 1-2w only.
It's very hard to get any info about outputs, widely different figures are quoted.
I think they are a bit disappointing if you are using them to light a room, probably best for effect light only at the moment, and you can't dim them.

I bought one of these in the lighting shop on Richmond Rd in Dublin but the output is very low. Only suitable for effect lighting.

Do these run off mains or do they requie a step down transformer like low voltage lights?

Ive been doing a bit of research on them myself too. They are avaiable in a number of different configurations in terms of output but the minumum really to give any sort of decent lighting for a room is at least 3w versions which are suppoed to be around 30w equivilent. The 1 or 2 watt ones are not really practical for normal lighting. There are versions that are both the 12v (MR16) and 220v (GU10) types of downlighters. Many makers have Soft White, Warm White, Daylight and then multicolours. They are avaialble too in wideangle and spot beam.

From most of the things I have read the only ones worth having are ones with a minimum of 21 LED's, or the newer Luxeon type which are a new LED technology. All in all though brightness comparable to about 35w of a standard incandesent bulb is about the best currently.

I've been waiting for a few months to see if the availability in the shops of bright LED GU10s improves but still haven't seen any yet.

This is the brightest one (38 LEDs) MEGA Spot II I could find. It's a hefty €14.99 a bulb. I got one. It seems about 1/2 - 2/3rds the brightness of a normal 50W incandescent bulb, the light is a bit yellowy.

Avocalite are selling LED & CFL's online in Ireland & are reasonably priced. The LED GU10 though will not match in terms of brightness as to what you would be getting - but would be effective for undercounter/cabinet lighting.
ninsaga

Back