Are Government Energy Credits taxable

Pmc365

I received a government energy credit of €450 for an unoccupied former rental property.
Is this government energy credit subject to Income Tax?
I mean do I have to declare it as income.
The property is NOT my principal private residence.

Market income is earned, in return for supplying labour or land/property, or enterprise.

This payment is not market income.

It is also not a cash welfare payment, which are sometimes liable to income tax.

You are the first person I have heard of the million plus people who are receiving this credit to ask this query.

Market income is earned, in return for supplying labour or land/property, or enterprise.

This payment is not market income.

It is also not a cash welfare payment, which are sometimes liable to income tax.
I've never heard the term market income before, in a tax context. Why are you using it, is it a term from economics or something?

No it's not,

it's a credit given back by the government to help with the cost of rising energy

but the process was by giving it to the energy companies directly

to distribute to each energy customer regardless of PPR,

You don't need to do anything with it,(declare it, pay taxes etc) ,

it's a credit due back to bill payer of the electricity in the property

The final customer is the key piece for you , it doesn't matter if it's your PPR

"Definitions

1. In this Act—

“Act of 1999” means the Electricity Regulation Act 1999 ;

“Commission” means the Commission for Regulation of Utilities;

“distribution system operator” means the holder of a licence granted under section 14(1)(g) of the Act of 1999;

“domestic electricity account” means an electricity account in respect of which a meter point registration number has been assigned and which—

(a) is held by a final customer with an electricity supplier, and

And the tax exemption piece

"Exemption in respect of electricity costs emergency benefit payment

192J. (1) An electricity costs emergency benefit payment made under section 5 (2) of the Electricity Costs (Domestic Electricity Accounts) Emergency Measures Act 2022 on or after 1 January 2022 and on or before 31 December 2022 shall be exempt from income tax and shall not be reckoned in computing total income for the purposes of the Income Tax Acts.

(2) In this section, ‘electricity costs emergency benefit payment’ has the same meaning as it has in the Electricity Costs (Domestic Electricity Accounts) Emergency Measures Act 2022.”.

Last edited:
It's a reduction of your energy bill, you're actually saving tax because you're paying less VAT!

Back