Are doctors still making housecalls?

Mers1

Just a question, do doctors still make housecalls?

I have spent a morning phoning surgeries in Kildare (Naas) trying to get a doctor to visit an elderly patient who is too unwell to leave her house.

Does anyone know if this practice has stopped altogether?

I would be interested in this, on occasion I have had to travel with a very sick child to see a doctor in a hospital. The last time I remember getting a doctor to visit was about 5 years ago.

It's hard to get somebody to come out, but they will do it. We have had doctor do a housecall for an elderly lady (95) who has been too ill to leave the house. Also, Karedoc (think that's the Kidlare based emergency doctor service) will do housecalls if required out of hours.

I know someone who has a medical card,and they often call out the "Emergency" Doctor, at all hours of the night..

KDoc (www.kdoc.ie) is the relevant out of hours service. It is based on the Vista Primary Care centre in Naas. It may depend on whether your GP is a member of this service.

KDoc dont attend during the day unfortunately.

This lady was far too ill to be brought by car anywhere. An ambulance was eventually called which brought her to Naas hospital where she is is still languishing on a trolley!

Its a pity really that the hands on care doesnt seem to be available anymore particularly for those who need it.

Make a few phone calls and move her care to a practice that makes house calls. Note that not all GP's can take medical card patients, despite the fact that this restrictive practice was meant to be removed a number of years ago and the fact that the boys from the IMF have said that it needs to change.

Back