Are cheques chassed up..?

B

Brian

I dont want to sound like im in the Lawlor Club but I am doing a bit of work for somebody and they pay me in cheques. I also work for another company and they also pay me in cheques which I will declare to an accountant.
Is it possible to declare one bank account as my purpose of business and not say anything about my other account. Is there a bank where I can do this. I know it is a form of tax dodging. It will be apprx €400pw but I want to use this account as a savings for my wife and kids. Will the company who pay me be asked who I am, then my cheques will be traced to my account or I will be asked to declare to where they went?
hope you can help

Hi Brian - You won't get any advice round here for tax evasion. Just pay the damn taxes. By evading tax, you are ripping off other taxpayers like me.

None of us likes it, but that's life.

Before using AAM I always knew tax evasion was rife, and kinda thought it doesnt affect me personally, but with new knowledge and awareness of the problem , from top to bottom of society, this blatant request for help in not paying tax just galls me.

As you can see the advice is fairly one sided. However, if you do wish to put this money aside for your wife and kids there are ways to make it work for you.

Things like a PRSA Pension scheme is a legal way to at least reduce some tax on the income. Also, banks are now required to be more proactive about identifying possible tax evasion - I know they aren't to good at the moment, but give it a few years and the revenue might need something other than off-shore accounts to dig up!

Seeing as the amount you are looking to "hide" is a big enough amount (20k per annum) - it might be worth your while to contact an accountant or financial adviser to give you guidance on some of the legal ways to use the money in a more tax efficient way.

I hope this helps a little.

Maximising contributions to an SSIA is another way to effectively indirectly reclaim some tax.

For the future - this thread might be of interest to you

Re: good reply

Will the company who pay me be asked who I am, then my cheques will be traced to my account or I will be asked to declare to where they went?

Both, in the event of a Revenue examination of this company's books & records.

Bear in mind that in the current (and, presumably, future) anti tax dodger atmosphere, you could well go to jail for a serious tax fraud of this nature.

Remember every time you open a bank account, your personal ID details must be received or maintained by the bank for as long as that account remains active and for a period of some years thereafter. If anything suspicious turns up on a bank anti-money laundering report or Revenue file, you will be fingered.

Revenue 'Third Party Return'

I know that where I 'work', every year there is a form that we have to fill out for the Revenue which details payments to unregistered third parties where total payments over the year exceed a certain ( not very large ) amount.

Hope this, er, either

1. Helps

or

2. Scares the cr@p out of you

:)

eDog

Re: Revenue 'Third Party Return'

I know that where I 'work'

Why the ironic quotation marks? Are you trying to tell us 'something'? ;)

' '

'work'

Near translation : Where I attend work

Hope this helps.

eDog

P.S. I am not a Civil Servant :)

Re: Are cheques chassed up...?

I think there are two issues for somebody considering evading tax:

1. Will I get caught?
2. How bad is it, is it "in the Lawlor Club".

My thoughts:
1. The chances are very high that you will be caught, eventually. With finite enforcement resources, it's actually in the Revenue's interest to wait a few years before going after you (I predict landlords traced through tenants' rent relief will be the next biggie.). When they do come after you, how will you explain where the lump sum has come from? Is it worth the risk of severe penalties, or even imprisonment? How will that be helping your family?

2. I used to think that there were levels of tax evasion, that a small amount of tax evasion was ok, that everybody does it, and sure there are worse out there. This is a little bit like saying a small amount of shop lifting is ok, sure everybody helps themselves to the till in their local once a week (Credit to Rainyday as I think this is his simile.).

I began to realise that by participating in tax evasion you only contribute to the culture that allows the big guys to continue doing it. It's a slippery slope, you could be the big guy tomorrow. And you lose all rights to complain about the behaviour of today's big guys or cutbacks in health, education etc.

It's like falsifying an insurance claim. You aren't hiding YOUR money from the state, you're stealing from other compliant taxpayers, from the old lady across the road on a widows pension, from the child going to school in a leaking prefab with an outside toilet, from the troubled youth who is housed in Mountjoy because there's nowhere else suitable.

That's how I feel anyway. How do you feel Brian?

Well said Mugsgame.

Hopefully your prediction also "landlords traced through tenants' rent relief will be the next biggie" will proceed asap.

Brian,

Even if there were acceptable levels of Tax evasion, I don't think €400 per week would be acceptable, especially if you are talking about continuing this over the long term.

If you help a neighbour to paint their living room and they give you 50 quid cash , I'm not going to come down on you like a ton of bricks if you take that cash to the pub that night and spent it, rather than give €20 of it to the revenue.

But if you have a regular income of €20K per year that your not disclosing, that's not a one off nixer, that's considerable earnings.

-Rd

Fair shout all!!!

Its just when ya see the high rollers at the Tribunal at the moment it makes you want to give the 2 fingers to FF and Co. but its not fair on the rest. Consider it declared. Keep up the good work!!!

Re: Fair shout all!!!

In my view tax evaders are giving the two fingers to their fellow citizens who are left to shoulder the tax burden... :\

tax

Like Charlie Haughey and co ( wearing the finest of shirts from Paris ) told us, the small hard working people and business people (the unpaid tax collectors ) , in the 80's, to wear the hairshirt ?

Re: tax

It's a bit difficult to take criticism of CJH/LL et al seriously from those who treat tax evasion as a harmless crime.

Back