Are Alphas that unreliable?

Firefly

Have a beemer but have to admit I love the Alphas, particularly the new 159 and the older 164. I'd be interested in hearing from current/previous owners in relation to any reliability issues encountered.

Re: Are Alphas that unreliable

[broken link removed]

Generally the best place to go for independent avice on second hand cars...

My neightbour bought a 00 156
He loved it until it developed a habit of randomly stopping on the road losing all electrical power...
They saying goes, you have two happy days with an Alpha, the day you buy it and the day you manage to get rid of it

The 156 is a complete bag of bolts. They all have electrical problems.

I don't think the newer models are as bad.

Just watched Top Gear on Dave they reviewed the 159 love that front a beauty. Should be better than the old 156

Watch out for depreciation though.

I had a 00 156 bought from new....kept it 8years
NO ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER
Brilliant car...just need to keep it serviced regularly and it will reward you

What numbers are you picking for the Euromillions on Friday?

Very good :)

Alfas are usually bought as an affair of the heart not head. The old 156 was a complete junk bucket. A friend had one from new and after about three years, six emergency visits to the dealer and numerous missed appointments, he drove the thing up the M1 to a dealer, praying it would last and traded it in for a Mazda 6!! That said, I have owned BMW's, Lexus, Hondas and would just love the new 159 Tourer in Black but I couldn't risk it. They are meant to be pretty reliable and nothing like Alfas of old but I wouldn't risk it if you do any sort of mileage and need a reliable car.

Heard that the 159 is a big improvement; 156 had transmission (gearbox) issues. I had a 06 Lexus IS 220 & it had to be taken home on a transporter one weekend; I "grew up" with old Alfas, and whilst they rusted, they never really broke down. Get a low mileage one with full service history & agree a warranty with the garage. A genuine dealer should give 1 year in the current environment!

Brother-in-law has an 06 Brera and hasn't had any issues with it. Stunning looking car with loads and loads of grunt. Would love to own one myself but that would be copying!

A friend has a Brera for 2 years, no problems, just dont put anyone in the back! No room!

Have a 147 which I bought second hand as Alfa's depriciate quickly. The shape hasnt changed much since they where introduced so it doesnt look so old.

Had issue with the electrics which I had to get sorted out, and have found that I am replacing light bulbs reguarly enough tough, but other then that a lovely car to drive and it has all the toys.

I had a lovely 164 (company car). Looked the business and sounded great but broke my heart. Battery faulty 3 days from new - pushing it down Main Street was embarrasing. Persistant oil leak drove me mad. Engine eventually gave up when it was only 1 year old. Alfa HQ in Dublin took it apart and rebuilt it under warranty. Nearly died on the way to the Maternity hospital - wife will not let another one in the yard. Coolant hose burst on the way to a customer - had to be towed and missed meeting. I ended up driving most of the Fiat fleet while the 164 was in the garage. Switched to Saab and never had an ounce of trouble with the '93 although she never drove as well as the 164.

Warning triangle, towing eye, hazard flashers, extensive toolkit, spare fuses & bulbs, roadside assistance contract .... :D

I walked into that! Used to walking though being an Alfa owner!

Back