Architects Fees

pooky

An architect has quoted me the following for a small renovation project on an existing property:

planning permission/planning type drawings €2500
inspecting architect i.e. for mortgage /payment certs 15% of the total construction cost which includes further construction drawings

Is this reasonable?

Just can comment on my own costs:
Plans, Planning permission for renovation & extension E1200

Engineer/mortgage draw down E800

An architect has quoted me the following for a small renovation project on an existing property:

planning permission/planning type drawings €2500
inspecting architect i.e. for mortgage /payment certs 15% of the total construction cost which includes further construction drawings

Is this reasonable?

hi pooky, i'm not an architect but work with them on projects and 12-15% is within the guidelines that they work to. however, i would've thought that the planning permission was included in the 12-15%. shop around, get another architect to quote for you or contact the RIAI (www.riai.ie) who may give you guidelines on fees.

12-15% sounds a lot but you have to remember that they are giving a lot of service for that amount: planning permission, compliance cert, construction drawings, project management, tender review, etc. they are basically your eyes and ears for the project. lots of people nowadays want to get involved (watching too much "Property Ladder" and "Location Location Location" on the tv methinks!!!) but generally speaking it is better (and cheaper for you in the longrun) to let professionals do their job and for you to solely act as the client.

if you want to pm with details of your house i may be able to put you in contact with some architects, depending on the area you're based.

1.50 per square foot is good ..

I recently got work done, if you are in south Dublin, can PM you his contatc details, he was very good, took no **** from Builder.

Back