Architect's fees

annmo

I agreed a 12% fee with my archictect on an estimated €150,000 spend on renovation/extension. Payment was to be made in 4 stages. 25% at consultation stage, 25% at planning stage, 25% when tenders were sent out, and 25% on completion. The tenders are now back, but we have decided not to go ahead. I have paid 50% so far and feel that this is enough, because the spend will be nil. Does this sound fair?

From my reading, the question appears to be:
"Despite the fact that at the third stage, 75% of the total fee was to be paid, we have only paid 50% and would not like to pay the third installment of 25%. Is this possible?"

If that is the question, the answer would be no - unless the architect decided to waive his fee.

Yes, that was my question. But surely 12% of an estimated €150,000 spend, which turns out to be a nil spend, should not mean that I must pay 75% of a notional spend. It also states that fees are €100.00 per hour. Thanks

From my reading, the question appears to be:
"Despite the fact that at the third stage, 75% of the total fee was to be paid, we have only paid 50% and would not like to pay the third installment of 25%. Is this possible?"
Fair enough. Unless I'm mistaken there was no explicit question in the original post so I presume that it was edited subsequently.

Fair enough. Unless I'm mistaken there was no explicit question in the original post so I presume that it was edited subsequently.
Correct, but the question was edited after I'd responded - it was still intelligible without being put in a question format.

I understood that the 12% fee for architect was for full service - to cover drawing up house plans but also providing architects certs during build etc. So if you have now decided not to build then I would not imagine the whole amount is due.

If you agreed 75% to tender and the Architect did the work to tender stage then 75% is due. Would you like doing work for free?

The payment is broken down into stages because of the amount of work done by the end of each stage - so its quite simple, 75% of the architects work has been done by the time the tender drawings are prepared therefore you should pay 75% of the fee.

75% of the architects work has been done by the time the tender drawings are prepared therefore you should pay 75% of the fee.
Agree. The final 25% of the fee is to cover the work done during the building phase and for the final sign-off on the work. The other 75% of the work has been done, as arranged, so you have to pay for it.

Can I ask why you decided against going ahead?

Back