Architects Fees

M

magsmo

hi,
Just reading through a contract with an architect, and I want to what should I make sure is included before I sign. I don't want to have to pay and then find I have a huge amount of extras before I even start. Its for a one off house.
any help is much appreciated, and also a lesson in haggling!!

Can you elaborate on your expectation for the provision of services to be provided by your architect? Are you using the RIAI Agreement between Client and Architect for Domestic Work?

Is your architect also going to be doing the engineer reports and visiting site? We have a separate engineer, so luckily had no extra costs.

One thing to add ( which costs money) is how many copies of your drawings will the architect provide. All depends on how many builders you want to get to quote on the job. Its only a really small thing, but the only thing I hadn't even thought of beforehand.
Also, it would be handy if the architect gave you a soft copy of the cad drawings, so that you could get a friend that knows auto-cad to put in your electrical requirements etc - but most won't do this due to copyright.

Good luck!

yes the firm are riai and that is the agreement that is being used but I'm not signing until I make sure that I have all the neccessary items included, I don't want to be caught with a bill for things that will add up to an absolute fortune. I don't mind the planning applications fees etc but things like travel expenses and copying will drive me crazy if I get hit for them afterwards. Also, they have a change for principals and technical staff per hour will seems a little too dear for my liking, surely they can't be too expensive at this stage. I don't know if he will be doing the reports. Do I need to get a Quantity Surveyor and a engineer and if so would I just be better getting just the drawing done by the architect. I was hoping to hand over the site and get it back when my clothes are hanging in the wardrobe!!!

Have you received the proposed agreement from your archtect for your review? The RIAI agreement outlines what services are included under the standard agreement (covered under the % fee) and additional services (not covered) that may be charged for separately. If you have a concern in relation to additional time charges or unexpected bills, you may wish to request that all time charges must be presented to you for your approval prior to work being carried out.

There is an 'expenses' section relating to copying, printing, travel costs etc. It would not be unusual for this section to be struck-out for a domestic project (upon agreement).

There should also be a 2-page briefing note at the back of the agreement summarising the various work stages involved and architect services included.

The engagement of a QS or engineer would depend on the complexity of the design / specification.

The reports provided by your architect (included in a standard agreement) would be Opinions on Compliance with Planning and Building Regulations.

There are many useful client guides (domestic work) available to download from various architecture institutes around the world which explain what typical services are provided by an architect:

I paid my guy 1e per sq ft,that included most things,he organised the percolation test but I paid the guy & have to pay for engineer for stage payment reports

Back