Apps gone missing on Android phone

AndroidMan

Android version 14.
I have not done any O/S updates recently but apps have been updated.

I have noticed today that some apps have disappeared (uninstalled) in the last couple of days.

Namely Google Drive, Vodafone app, Google Sheets. I reinstalled and all is good.

Any idea why?
These are the ones I have noticed, there may be others that I will probably discover at a very inconvenient time.

Did the apps disappear completely or just the icons/shortcuts from your home screen?

Were they unused for a period and put to sleep and deleted by the system?
I've never seen Android do that.
But I'm still on Android 9 in case that makes any difference.
The only thing that I've seen that version do is periodically remove access rights from apps that haven't been used for a period of time in order to mitigate security risks.
If the apps are used again then they'll request any necessary rights afresh.
I can't find anything online to suggest that more recent versions of Android ever unilaterally delete apps from the system.
Maybe there are third party tools/apps that do that but it would seem like a big security risk for them to do so...

They got completely uninstalled.
I reinstalled them as I discovered them, but I never saw this happen before, shortcuts going missing, yes I have seen that during app updates.
Nobody else has access to my phone and I certainly did not remove them.

They got completely uninstalled.
I reinstalled them as I discovered them, but I never saw this happen before, shortcuts going missing, yes I have seen that during app updates.
Nobody else has access to my phone and I certainly did not remove them.
Are you using an SD card in the phone to extend the storage for apps and other data? If so maybe it's failing?

It may be possible to get a log of previously installed and uninstalled apps using ADB but (a) it's a bit complicated especially if you've never used ADB etc. before and (b) this is an old thread so the details may be different these days, assuming that is still even possible. And, even then, it just tells you what was installed/uninstalled and when, but not why or on whose orders....

Back