Approx annual cost central heating

dewdrop

We do not like central heating and over the years use it to a minimum but we have an open fire (no back boiler) in our living area which keeps us nice and warm at least to our standards. We usually buy a lorry load of blocks augmented by briquettes. Just wondering if we reduced thte use of the fire and relied on the central heating at a low level how much the annual bill would very roughly be.

We used oil central heating last winter for 3 hours a day, an hour in the morning and two hours in the evening. this cost us 200 euro a month.

We are installing a stove with back boiler this year to save some money.

90% of your heat is going up the chimney anyway seeing as you have an open fire. Look at putting in a stove with a back boiler. If you get a big enough stove it will heat a few rads and wont cost anymore to run than the open fire does now

dewdrop - you need to look at your usage on heat and hot water.
That determines the demand on your heating.
I have a boiler stove and cook with gas.
Remember that a stove takes work. The option of the magic button on the wall is gone.

I burn about 20 pallets a month. With good management that gives me too much heat in the house and all our hot water.
I don't know what that equates to in bought solid fuel mind you.
One thing to consider is the calorific (heat output when burnt) value of burning oil or gas is way higher than wood or peat.
Most of the demand on a heating system goes into heating water.
I have a 14kw stove that heats 11 rads and the cylinder to very hot temperatures.

If you are getting a Bivalent system (solid/gas or solid/oil) make sure the installer really knows their stuff.
A badly installed or under estimated system will never heat anything.
So if you want to rely heavily on a solid boiler stove, you need to do some proper maths to see if you actually will
get the most from the option.
Not to mention the installation of the stove and system which is gong to cost your easily upwards of €3000 with a stove.

The bottom line is if you really want to save big money with a stove - source cheap or free fuel (waste wood in my case).
Next saving is heat and water usage. You need to watch that. To heat a 240 litre cylinder takes a huge amount of
heat energy and over 2 hours and can be used in 20 minutes (if you have a teenager like I have)

Back