Appropriate Salary for Software Engineer straight out of college?

amgd28

Hi - I'm planning to make an offer to a software engineer who is just about to graduate. Up to now, all positions have been filled off-shore so now beginning to add staff here. However I'm not sure of the appropriate rates - I just don't trust the recruitment sites as they seem to vary like crazy. I want to offer a fair salary, but there are other non-salary related benefits that the company can offer as sweetner, but once I know what the going rate is I think I can take it from there

How long is a piece of string ?

What's the language being hired for? Where are you based ? I know of a place (not in Dublin) that are getting away with paying €20k to grads....Insulting, innit!?

Verkom do a pretty good salary survey ([broken link removed]) just took a look there and the rates seem reasonable.

Having dealt with recruitment agencies I'd trust them about as far as I could throw an estate agent!!

What's the language being hired for? Where are you based ? I know of a place (not in Dublin) that are getting away with paying €20k to grads....Insulting, innit!?
Insulting?
Graduate programmers are generally liabilities for at least the first couple of years. The companies are effectively training them.

Insulting?
Graduate programmers are generally liabilities for at least the first couple of years. The companies are effectively training them.

"Effectively" I wonder how many actually do train their new hires. I'm sure most are just handed a project and expected to pick it up themselves. Yes they get paid while doing this, but they are not "training" them.

Can be anything from 25 to 40k depend on the quality of the graduate and the role. IMO.

€22-€25K depending on whether your company is at the top or bottom of it's market and whether the grad is at the top or bottom end of the market.

I want to offer a fair salary, but there are other non-salary related benefits that the company can offer as sweetner, but once I know what the going rate is I think I can take it from there
Bear in mind that many graduates (especially those who went into college straight from school) may not value additional benefits like pension, life cover etc. as much as hard cash! In my opinion Complainer's comment is the most appropriate - what value will the prospective employee bring to the company and how much are you prepared to pay for this added value?

Hi - I'm planning to make an offer to a software engineer who is just about to graduate. Up to now, all positions have been filled off-shore so now beginning to add staff here. However I'm not sure of the appropriate rates - I just don't trust the recruitment sites as they seem to vary like crazy. I want to offer a fair salary, but there are other non-salary related benefits that the company can offer as sweetner, but once I know what the going rate is I think I can take it from there

Have a look at the data [broken link removed]

If the person enjoys programming and did computer science because they like it, not because it will give them a job, I would pay them 28k.

If they are the type of person who did computer science by mistake, or because they didn't know what else to do, I wouldn't waste my time hiring them.

There are so many crap software developers out there. In my experience they're waaaay more likely to be crap if they are they "did computers by accident" sort.

If the person enjoys programming and did computer science because they like it, not because it will give them a job, I would pay them 28k.

If they are the type of person who did computer science by mistake, or because they didn't know what else to do, I wouldn't waste my time hiring them.

There are so many crap software developers out there. In my experience they're waaaay more likely to be crap if they are they "did computers by accident" sort.

To be honest I'd take each candidate on merit - these generalisations don't really work.

Yes, some who got into it by accident can be poor, but they could also be great developers. Equally some who enjoy programming can be guilty of writing the worst code I have ever seen.

You're hiring on their potential - not what they have achieved as in reality they have achieved very little yet.

Thanks for all the responses folks.
My expectations about the immediate deliverables from the candidate would be low, as they will need some time to get to know our products and our development process. In relation to the language, I think this is secondary because a good developer in one language can cut it in another if given the support and training. Getting the logic right is the most important element.

The ballpark figures above are also a bit less than I thought I'd have to shell out, so all in all the info is good.

Thanks

I hope the candidate doesn't own a VW Golf - he/she will be looking for €100,000 p.a. if the current ad is right!!!!

Bear in mind that many graduates (especially those who went into college straight from school) may not value additional benefits like pension, life cover etc. as much as hard cash! In my opinion Complainer's comment is the most appropriate - what value will the prospective employee bring to the company and how much are you prepared to pay for this added value?

Further to this point, try and ascertain what kind of experience your new recruit will be gaining and furthermore if you will be working with exceptional/like minded people. Sell them long-term, career path, personal development, job satisfaction rather than immediate salary gain.

Back