Apartment water heating problems

Lauren

Have had ongoing problems in my apartment with water heating. Have a large tank that has two elements fitted. One to heat bath-full of water (usually used at night) and one for sink full of water. Over the past four years I have changed the 'bath' element probably about six or seven times. Each time this happens I have to pay for the parts, a plumber (as the tank needs to be drained) and an electrician so costs are mounting.

Initially the electrician said that the problem was related to limescale affecting the elements and causing them to burn out. For a while there over the summer we gave up on the bath element and just used boost and then that failed too.

Have had both elements replaced recently and have even had a new timer and switch installed. The 'bath' element only slightly heats the water so its not quite hot enough for a shower and no good at all for a bath. Now yesterday the boost/sink element has stopped working again. I'm at a loss. The 'experts' have said:

• The setup in new apartments in Ireland is crap and the system is badly designed that's why you have a problem.
  • Its related to limescale (yet when the tank was last drained there was no limescale at the bottom of it and the elements were not covered in limescale)
  • The parts just blew, you just need to replace them

A few questions for AAMers. Have you had this problem and how did you solve it?
Does anyone have any ideas what might cause such a problem? Could it be wiring? Are the parts just crap quality? Is the setup bad?
Is it possible that the tank is not filling quickly enough and therefore leaving the elements exposed? How would you prove this was the case?
Does anyone know of a real 'expert' in water heating systems as I've had various plumbers and electricians and no one can seem to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks in advance...

Get the pH of your water tested.

You can get titanium elements which are a little more expensive, but last longer.

Is it possible that the tank is not filling quickly enough and therefore leaving the elements exposed? How would you prove this was the case?

That's not possible, the tank fills from the bottom, and hot water comes out the top. So unless you turn off the water and drain the tank, the elements will always be covered.

Back