(Apartment) Airbnb v Letting

Startup

I have been crunching the numbers regarding buying an apartment in Dublin soon with a 30 year mortgage while my plans might involve emigrating in 5 years.

Assuming I live in the apartment for 5 years and rent it for 25 years my total outlay after tax and expenses would be almost identical over a 30 year period using letting agencies if I rent the apartment at the going rate full time or if I have someone manage it and rent it on Airbnb for 20 days a month which would allow me to use the apartment when I return for a week to Dublin from time to time.

I would appreciate it if someone would be able to check my figures assuming a mortgage of €240,000 on an apartment currently valued at €300,000 and highlight any pros and cons of each approach.

Traditional Renting Arrangement:

dyacsn.png

Airbnb Renting Arrangement:

28lukh4.png

Last edited:
just saw this.
1) prtb fees - don't need to pay for Airbnb as it is not a residential tenancy

2) why is mortgage interest relief different in the two calculations?

3) that cleaning fee seems awful high -8 grand a year -my friend pays 40 euro for a cleaner three hours per week for a two bed apartment . say you have a cleaner in on average twice a week that would be 80 per week- that's 3200 per year ?
4) also rental agency letting fee of 6720 per year for the Airbnb arrangement. I don't know about typical fees but that seems quite high
5) have you included Airbnb 3% fee on your Airbnb calculation

6) is this property to be your ppr (principal private residence)?
I know you say you would be spending one week per month there only. T

It's an interesting spreadsheet. I'm quite surprised that there's so little in the difference in after tax income. My own anecdotal understanding from speaking to a friend who switched from long term letting to Airbnb is that it is a lot more lucrative than long term letting. The big factor for him is that he lives in the property so none of the hassle of agency fees etc.

Back