Anyone used a portable blow up bed?

LauraLu

We are buying a 1 bed cottage in the country and were looking into either getting a sofa bed or a portable blow up bed in case we ever have company.

The link below is the example of the blow up portable bed.
http://www.mattress.ie/beds/guest-beds/body-impressions-anywhere-double-bed.html

Has anyone ever used this? Is it comfortable?

I was thinking of getting a mattress topper for on top of either of them for a little extra comfort...

can anyone recommend either to go for the portable blow up or the sofa bed?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a blow up bed on the floor, and its quite comfy. The only problem I have with them is they are usually topped with 'velvet' type material, which I hate the feel of, even when a sheet is put over it. If you are using a topper however, it wouldn't be a problem.

I've slept on some sofa beds too and they can be ok, sometimes a little hard for my liking. Another alternative for you could be a single bed that contains another single bed underneath, can be used as a single, twin or double, but that would only be an option if you have the room.

My parents have a fold out bed, where a metal frame contains a spring base and mattress which sits neatly in the corner. I have only ever seen single ones of these, but I find the one my parents have VERY comfortable.

Talking of portable beds .... Lidl have one coming up shortly:

[broken link removed][broken link removed]

Hi LauraLu,

I spent approx 6 months sleeping on a blow up bed when backpacking before in Aus. I found it very comfortable - also gives decent support to your back (if you have it blown up correctly). The worst part was always getting up off the floor - but on the link you posted, that is solved.

Also have one for guests - my parents even stayed on it a couple of nights and they couldn't believe how comfortable it is.

Just make sure to buy an electric pump!

The blow-up bed is probably the best solution, as they are generally far more comfortable than sofa beds. Plus, depending on the number of guests you have, there would still be room for 1 to sleep on the sofa too. I slept on a blow-up bed for a couple of months when I first moved in to my house, and it was fine. As Smashbox said, the top can feel a little odd, but I put a light duvet on mine, under the sheet, and it was perfect. Using a decent quality mattress topper would achieve the same result. (And be far less bulky to store than a duvet!).

Back