Anyone use private wifi based security cameras?

BrokeBroker

These are great cameras for the price. I have a few of them. I have one in my porch and another in an upstairs window that overlooks my driveway.

Are they wired or with battery, and any idea how long the battery lasts?

It says "motion detection", if you have them upstairs I assume they're inside; do they detect motion from behind glass?

And lastly, data use.

Presumably you're using them with a wifi router, high fiber.

I'm going with a mobile hotspot (data limits).

Any idea how much data they use for you? (I don't think the SD card is included, based on that amazon info)

I had a similar Nest doorbell camera in our last house and found it well worth having. It was a good security camera with the added benefits of letting you talk to visitors/couriers when you are away from the house, can be silenced if you’re sleeping during the day, would alert you if there was motion or people on the drive during the night etc.

Are they wired or with battery, and any idea how long the battery lasts?

It says "motion detection", if you have them upstairs I assume they're inside; do they detect motion from behind glass?

And lastly, data use.

Presumably you're using them with a wifi router, high fiber.

I'm going with a mobile hotspot (data limits).

Any idea how much data they use for you? (I don't think the SD card is included, based on that amazon info)
They are wired using a usb cable.

They can detect motion from behind glass.

I don't know how much data they use. They only upload a few seconds of video to the cloud when motion is detected. Obviously if you are viewing the camera via the app you will also use up data.

Get a memory card from MemoryC.ie

Yi also do more expensive outdoor cameras if you need those.

Any camera with IR night vision will not work from behind glass. The Infra-red illuminators will heat the glass and you'll just see a white haze.
You can turn off the IR light if the camera is behind glass.

I had a similar Nest doorbell camera in our last house
I have a couple of the Nest ones now and find them good as well. At the moment I have one wired and one relying on the battery, but even with motion recording set on the wireless one the battery lasts months between charges.

We have Eufy doorbell/camera. No monthly charge to view data with hub in house plugged in to power. Doorbell is on rechargeable battery and lasts months until needs a boost which takes about 3 hrs via USB cable.

They are wired using a usb cable.

They can detect motion from behind glass.

I don't know how much data they use. They only upload a few seconds of video to the cloud when motion is detected. Obviously if you are viewing the camera via the app you will also use up data.

Get a memory card from MemoryC.ie

Yi also do more expensive outdoor cameras if you need those.

I considered using a similar setup to what you describe.

Indoor, wired.

First thing is, I can typically easily find 1 m USB cables, but cables longer than 1 m?
I assume you're using lengthier cables?

Where did you pick them up.

And secondly, in your experience using them they can pick up motion even from behind glass, provided you disable the IR sensors?

Does using the cloud require a subscription?

And for me, I'm running wifi from a phone hotspot, which means it would be preferable not using a phone app to access the video-feed (as normally the app runs on a phone separate to the hotspot phone).
I know Eufy and Ring do online access to camera footage (instead of having to download a phone app, one can simply log on to their website to access recordings, live feed etc).

Any idea if Yi supports this also, or do you access your camera info exclusively through a mobile app?

Actually the website suggests there is on online portal to control the camera.

Experiences with it?

The cables that come with them are about 1m long. They also come with a plug to power them. I use the default cables.

I only use the app to view the cameras but you can insert a micro sdcard and it will record continuously. It uploads 6 seconds to the cloud for free. You can pay a subscription but the amount varies depending on how long you want to keep video and how many cameras you have. I just use the sdcard.

They don't use a PIR to detect motion (they do have one model that does though). If the camera detects a change in the image it will alert your phone if you have that set up. You can set a motion zone also. They will work behind glass but in the dark you will obviously need outside illumination of some sort for it to detect movement.

The link I posted above is to Amazon. They are currently €11 each there if you have Prime (free delivery).

And secondly, in your experience using them they can pick up motion even from behind glass, provided you disable the IR sensors?
I have one of the Nest cameras mounted on the soffit looking across the front of my house, it recognises faces inside the window within it's view.

I bought a Ring doorbell model, it was on discount in Curry's.

Haven't got it yet but I figured it may be better to have it mounted outside (though I may be wrong if some creeper smashes it).

Main concern now is data usage.

I'm be routing into my mobile hotspot (so it won't function when I'm away, that's fine).

But provided it doesn't use crazy GB of data each month, that's the main concern.

Back