Anyone notice that Tesco Petrol causes engine pinking/loss of power/under-perf/ mpg?

Re: Anyone notice that Tesco Petrol causes engine pinking/loss of power/under-perf/ m

Now that Statoil Ireland have been bought out by the same crowd that bought Shell Ireland a few months ago will there be a change in the pricing at Tesco?

I'll repeat what I said earlier, Tescos are now consistently 5c/l dearer than the cheapest petol in the country. I filled at 112.9 c/l at the weekend. (Kelloil Tralee)

aj

My Peugeot 406 has been exhibiting poor performance and erratic idling. My garage told me that they have recently been getting reports from others and, strangely, they all used Tesco petrol! The garage said that some of these cars had to have the oxygen sensors replaced as they had burnt out.

I filled up from a non-Tesco garage and now my car runs just fine. Make of this what you will - but I've now stopped using Tesco petrol.

There was an article in Sunday Business Times about this - I kinda skimmed through it though. Had better pull out for a closer read.
Incidentally aren;'t Stadt Oil pulling out ??

Tesco Petrol is exactly the same as Statoil- I have seen the tanker pull out of Statoil Dundrum and then drive 1 minute up the road to Tesco Dundrum. So if Statoil petrol is Ok then so is Tesco. I think some people expect it to be not as good, also could the reawakening of this thread have anything to do with the Tesco petrol problems in UK.

Its not the same supplier here !!

Just saw that Tesco (UK) are offering repair costs to anyone who had damage to their car from the bad batch of petrol

Hi there,

Just noticed your Thread on Tesco's Petrol. I bought petrol in Tesco's Sunday 22nd April and the next day my car wouldn't stop chugging...I actually thought I put Diesel in by accident but I went back the next day to check the pump it was indeed the correct petrol (unleaded).
For 3 whole days my car was blowing out very high emissions from the exhaust, I had to keep the revs high as I kept thinking it was going to conk out. By the Thursday morning my car wouldn't start so I called advance pit stop to collect my car and fix it.
They found it very hard to rectify the problem, but the next day, NOT to my surprise the said it was due to dirty petrol.
My engine is now damaged and she's not driving the same! I do have a writen report from the garage stating it's due to dirty petrol. I called the Manager in the Tesco's Ardkeen, Waterford to see if anybody else had had the same problem and she said they didn't.
Now I don't know what to do next.... Especially after reading the article about the Tesco's Dirty Petrol in England.... Do you think it's come across to Ireland too?

Drifting the thread on to Tesco diesel ......

I know nothing of Tesco petrol but my wheels dont like Tesco diesel. It runs rough and smokes if pushed at all with Tesco in the tank

Its happy with Shell or Esso

And runs sweeet on Texaco

Re: Anyone notice that Tesco Petrol causes engine pinking/loss of power/under-perf/ m

I bought petrol in Tesco's Sunday 22nd April and the next day my car wouldn't stop chugging...I called the Manager in the Tesco's Ardkeen, Waterford to see if anybody else had had the same problem and she said they didn't.
i have recently moved jobs to waterford and have bought quite a bit of petrol from tesco ardkeen in the past couple of months and haven't noticed a problem.

This is exceptionally strange. I regularly use the Tescos at Ardkeen in Waterford - some of the cheapest petrol in the country are in Waterford stations - without problems. However, in Dublin last week, I filled up at the Tescos in Dundrum. Fairly shortly thereafter, I noticed serious issues with my car's performance - coughing, loss of power on takeoff etc. As it's a vintage car, I'm constantly alert for any changes in performance that may indicate a failing part. In this case, I suspected possible sparkplug failure. Having read this, I'm not so sure.
Having driven a lot of milage over the weekend and filled a couple of times from other sources, the problem seems to have sorted itself.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some shenanigans going on re. Tesco petrol (for example the Statoil tanker filling Tesco stations when the tank is low, thus the fuel at its dirtiest...) Who knows.

I live round the corner from Tesco Clarehall and used it quite a bit, before the issues in Englang a few months ago came to light. I know they are supplied by statoil but suddenly had problems with the car cutting out, and the engine chugging. Was getting to be quite a problem, esp when taking turns across oncomming traffic, wasn't always sure if it was going to out or not ....luckily it didn't at any time that I could have had an accident. I've since stopped using Tesco petrol, use Esso, Texaco and sehll and the problem has disappeared.
Threw my 5c off per litre slip I got with my shopping last week in the bin!

A tanker would typically have many compartments containing fuel so stopping in 2 forecourts it is quiet possible that the same fuel might not be supplied.

The multiple compartments is for safety on the road also. Imagine the splashing about of a 1/2 full tanker on the road if only one compartment - would lead to major instability.

This is interesting. See thread about "dirty diesel" I bought diesel at a statoil station and ended up paying €560 for the privilage! So I would NEVER touch a Statoil station again and now not a Tesco one either!

I thought it was only me!!! I have an 07 car which I bought at the end of February so there is no problem with the car. Whenever I buy petrol at Tesco, I notice that the car is a bit sluggish on motorways / open roads.

It feels like it's running at full power if I fill up at Texaco though.

I wouldn't think that this has anything to do with the quality of petrol as I am aware it's all the same stuff. However, Tesco pumps keep cutting off and it would often take 10 minutes to fill up. I wonder if it's the same thing cutting off their pumps and lowering performance of my new car.

ETA I use Tesco in Dundrum the odd time.

Back