Anyone know what the CSO pay statisticians?

Thanks Mister Guest. Lot of info there. So they took 15 out of the first 30...thats a fair few. Wonder how many they will take out of the next thirty that you didn;t go for interview on.

Havign said that, if they have taken on 15+ in the last 15 months, I assume they will need bugger all people for the next few years so....I mean, they only employ 600 or 700, so taking on 15+ would seem to be all they would need...

is one allowed ring the HR in the CSO direct and ask them....like I presume its they decide how many they need and then ask the Public Jobs people to do the dirty work...

i think you should ring the Public Appointments Service number as they will know where the competition is at the moment and also can tell you when the next competition is likely to be. They might also have an idea on how many might be hired before the panel is disbanded.

solid....listen, thanks for the info. I'll chance a call to them later on, hopefully they might have another competition towards the end of the year. Hopefully too they will need to recruit people for the census, outside of the temp field staff.

Hi Legend99,

"Opus, you have any idea what the starting off point would be? And did they tend to recruit in the year of a census?/ I'm hoping they might need extra staff with that on the horizon....

Would you be able to interpret this so based on your comments? is one to assume you start off on the lowest scale for Admin Officer recruited after 1995? In that case, how does one jump from 29,500 to 69,000 in just 7 years?!"

[broken link removed]

You can probably negotiate depending on experience up to say 3 points on the scale. If you work in the public sector, they'll take you across at your current salary plus any earned increment and that would be your statrting salary, subject to at least the minimum of the scale.

Of late (say the last 5 years or so), the CSO recruit reasonably regularly as they need to cover more and more statistical work - it's not just based on the Census (although that would help)

"Second, did this:
"SALARY SCALE: €28,600 - €69,460* (PPC Scale)*€67,350 after 3 years’, €69,460 after 6 years’ satisfactory service respectively on the maximum."

come from a job ad...if so, could you point me in its direction?!"

Looks ok to me! you might try publicjobs.ie or try impact's website for a more detailed listing of the scale. And yes, you do hop up from 29k to the top of the scale (this isn't the 69K though, more like 65K) in seven years - you get triple increments after years 3 and 7. The last two points are long service increments which you get after 3 years and 6 years service at the top of the ordinary scale. By the way, the average salary point is say 2000-2500 per annum, but one of the points (moving you from AO to AP scale is closer to 10K)

Hope this helps,

Opus.

PS don't forget a pay increase of 1.5% and benchmarking of 3% (?) in June and another 1.5% in December 2005.

Rang the Public Jobs people. I got the impression that the list they have from the most recent interviews they did, Feburary 05, will last for 2 years?? In that case, I assume they won't be advertising again until that 2 years is up...does that sound correct to you?
As I know someone who came 54th that time last year and he was called feb 05 for interview that means they must have another 30 on the list they put together in feb 05(well 28 cause someone in here said they declined the interview and my mate who was called is now happy working in Germany and didn't attend!)

So if they have around 25 to 28 on that list, would that not last them more than 2 years....like, you have any idea how many new statisticians might be taken on every year??

thanks again!

P.S. 65k or 69k, I'd be fairly fecking happy with either!!!!!

I did the tests what must have been a year and a half ago and have just been called for interview in November. If my memory serves me correct I was #68 on the list. I have 4/5 yrs experience working in the Dept of Education - wondering where I'd start on the infamous PPC scale (€28,600 - €69,460). Current salary close to 40k. Was starting to get really cosy in my job but seeing €€€€€€ now!
Anyone out there been for one of these interviews? The interview form looks like a nightmare alright, must get stuck in!
Any answers re salary or info re statistician role/working in the CSO greatly appreciated!

Got called as well. Think I was eighty something.

Received a letter on Monday with an application form to be completed and returned by Wednesday! Decided not to go ahead.

chihiro said:
I did the tests what must have been a year and a half ago and have just been called for interview in November. If my memory serves me correct I was #68 on the list. I have 4/5 yrs experience working in the Dept of Education - wondering where I'd start on the infamous PPC scale (€28,600 - €69,460). Current salary close to 40k. Was starting to get really cosy in my job but seeing €€€€€€ now!
Anyone out there been for one of these interviews? The interview form looks like a nightmare alright, must get stuck in!
Any answers re salary or info re statistician role/working in the CSO greatly appreciated!

Would have thought that in addition to the lolly, depending on your circumstances, the issue of a non-decentralising location might be attractive. ALthough if they require Statisticians in Cork...:p

all the jobs are nearly in Cork. Second, that pay scale is Jan 2004. There has been a good few % added on since then with the last quarter of benchmarking and sustaining progress, and there is in fact another 1.5% due in Dec and 2.5% in June 2006.

I'm amazed they have worked down to number 90 on the list though as they seemed to have done it in 30s.

I mean, theres only about 650 in the CSO..how many new people can they bring in!

The good thing about structured interviews is that every applicant is asked the same basic questions and therefore the comparison between applicants is much easier.
Depending on the responses to the basic questions then supplementary questions may be asked.

Overall I believe that structured interviews are much fairer to applicants.

is it just me or do all these salaries seem quite high?
32k starting off!!??

Porfessional job I'd guess. And also, thats what people starting as Admin officers get, and the stats as explained earlier encompases the AO and AP salary scale.

chihiro said:

If you are happy in your job with €40k+ why would you even consider taking a drop in salary to start a fresh again at the bottom of the ladder in a job might not like??

brilliant81 said:
If you are happy in your job with €40k+ why would you even consider taking a drop in salary to start a fresh again at the bottom of the ladder in a job might not like??
Job security for life, 9-5 hours, DB pension scheme with index linking

brilliant81 said:
What is this DB pension and index linking??
A Defined Benefit pension scheme guarantees the recipient a fixed income in retirement. By contrast, a Defined Contribution scheme means the recipient gets the value of the funds investment by the recipient and the employer. So a DB scheme gives much greater security. The fund carries the risk of investment return. With a DC scheme, the recipient carries the risk.

In the public sector and better private sector DB schemes, the pension is index linked - so your pension will increase each year in line with inflation. DC schemes are not index linked, and the cost of purchasing an index-linked guaranteed income (via an annuity) is substantial.

why you would go to public service....if you are getting the same money, but suddenly working only 34.75 hours a week as opposed to 40, with more holidays and flexitime, then its a big carrot. Over 900 sat the exams in March 2004.
Be aware that the pension benefits means that you have to pay between 5 and 6% of your salary in depending on your gross salary and payment is not optional, you have to join. I know the benefits are great, but some people in private industry who are young might have chosen to not yet start a pension...as I recall even the chosen one who leads AAM believes that a pension should wait until after a house is bought...but I'm open to correction on that.

I was called as well for interview, and went last week. I was told the panel has been exhausted up to this round of interviews, and they haven't managed to fill their quota!! Did anybody else go? What did people think of the "structured interview" format? I thought it was a lot easier in some ways than an interview in the private sector....

its exhausted for Cork only....there are still a number of people on it for Dublin but many of them declined Cork jobs. Therefore, there is a still a list of those people from the panel who are waiting for jobs to come up in Dublin.

Back