anyone know of a good cheap hairdresser?

I went to Peter Marks the other day with a friend. We both got a wash cut and colour and paid........ €43 each.

Ha I nearly cried.

They took about 8" off my hair alright, and about 3" off my friends, but we were in and out in 45 minutes.

Why did you nearly cry??? I dont think €43 from pete marks for a cut,colour and blowdry is a bad price ( and you know what i do for a living ) Although am confused over the time frame?? 45 mins for all that!! Did they sprinkle a little glitter in your hair and call that a colour?

Sorry Sam, I meant to say wash cut and dry! I was supposed to get a colour but decided against it as I was going with a friend and it would have taken too long.

I notice that Peter Marks have really cut back on stuff. They used to give head massages when they washed the hair, theres none of that. They used to offer tea or coffee, and non of that either. They also don't seem to have straighteners in the salon now, its all 'blow dried straight'.

ah well thats a whole different story then. I'd of cried as well €43 for a wash, cut & blowdry.

It's actually a better blow dry if they dont need to use straighters, it's usually done to save time. You blowdry the hair the minimum and then go over with the straightners and i guarantee your'll wake up in the morning looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Where as if the time is spend giving a decent blowdry you can get at least a couple of days out of it. But this is all depending how often you wash your hair, if you have to wash it every day then it wouldn't make much difference.

Sam - do you mind me asking what you think is acceptable for a blowdry. I used to know someone who worked from home & she charged €10 for a blowdry & I used to get it done about once a month - but at €26, I'd probably never get it done. Unfortunately she moved away so that was that!!

I was in Italy a few years ago & decided on the spur of the moment to get my hair cut. While I was there one lady came in with her hair wet & they dried it. The lady who owned said that many women over there do that - they charged €10 for the blowdry, €15 for a wash & blowdry, €20 for a cut & dry (if you'd washed it yourself) and €25 for the full wash, cut & blowdry. You could even have just the cut (wash yourself.....go for the cut.....go home and dry.....€12 I think).

I'd probably be way more inclined to got to the hairdresser at lot more often if we had a breakdown like that & I reckon I'd actually spend more in total (love having my hair blowdried by a pro). Sometime you want to be pampered & have the whole works - most of the time you want to be in & out as quick as possible, with some money left in your pocket!!!

Sam - do you mind me asking what you think is acceptable for a blowdry. I used to know someone who worked from home & she charged €10 for a blowdry & I used to get it done about once a month - but at €26, I'd probably never get it done. Unfortunately she moved away so that was that!!

I was in Italy a few years ago & decided on the spur of the moment to get my hair cut. While I was there one lady came in with her hair wet & they dried it. The lady who owned said that many women over there do that - they charged €10 for the blowdry, €15 for a wash & blowdry, €20 for a cut & dry (if you'd washed it yourself) and €25 for the full wash, cut & blowdry. You could even have just the cut (wash yourself.....go for the cut.....go home and dry.....€12 I think).

I'd probably be way more inclined to got to the hairdresser at lot more often if we had a breakdown like that & I reckon I'd actually spend more in total (love having my hair blowdried by a pro). Sometime you want to be pampered & have the whole works - most of the time you want to be in & out as quick as possible, with some money left in your pocket!!!

It's hard to say really... obviously your'll pay less for someone coming to your house that what you would in a salon, as you dont have the overheads your using their electric, the only expense i really have which is so small it's hardly worth mentioning is products.

Even as a hairdresser myself i can never blowdry my hair as well myself as what someone else who's doing it properly but it's still better than what i get in a salon these days. Got my hair done a month ago and a few hours later you wouldn't of known that i did. The blowdry took 10 mins!!! For longish hair it's just not possible to get a good blowdry in 10 mins. I'd never dream of paying €25-€30 for a blowdry cause as i said most of the time it's done so quickly and it wont last, for me i only wash my hair 2-3 times a week, i'm lucky i dont get greasy hair.

I actually got my highlights done in dublin last year i was unable to get it done ( for free!!) in england before i came back for xmas i was just too busy, i asked how much less it would be not to get a B/D and was told they are not allowed by law to let you leave the salon with wet hair. Never did find out how true this is..think it was just a story to be honest i've never heard of this before.

It would be good if you could break things down but i dont think that would ever happen in a salon. I break things down so people can choose exacetly what they do and dont want. I do a few older ladies that have very short hair and they love it that they dont have to pay for a blowdry cause it makes no difference to them. The same with people needing their highlights done by not having to pay for the blowdry is the difference between getting a half head and a full head for them.

Try putting an ad up in your local area there has to be hairdressers around that would want a extra few pennys for doing a few blow drys, that what i suggested to a few people that have called me but i've been unable to help them as they live to far away from me. Just make sure to tell them to really blowdry it as it's a lot different working in a salon to being mobile. If i went back to working in a salon i'd have the manager shouting at me all day to hurry up i was taking to long. But being mobile i dont have a set wage each week so i have to make that little bit more effort so i make sure they keep re-booking with me.

I'd shop around as well cause prices are beginning to come down. There's a polish hair and beauty salon that just opened up in my area and for a salon there prices are very good...not far off mine which is worrying lol

I would be interested to hear if there is a good and cheap hairdressers around Ratoath, Ashbourne, Swords areas.

Back