Anyone going to the CAI AGM?

It would appear that the last accounts that the CAI submitted to the CRO were effective up to 31/05/2011.
The next set of Accounts were due to be with the CRO by 19/09/2012 which is now incurring a daily penalty.

But they could not afford postage apparently and from a posting of Brendan's they were getting the audit period extended in order to save fees ??????.

If the AGM was held with no accounts then how will they be ratified? I thought they had to be passed by members?

It would appear that the last accounts that the CAI submitted to the CRO were effective up to 31/05/2011.
The next set of Accounts were due to be with the CRO by 19/09/2012 which is now incurring a daily penalty.

That is normally correct but they have filed a B73 and extended the Annual Return Date until 28/02/2013 and if they file online they get 56 days to file accounts without incurring a penalty.

I note that the company has a charity number, not a great example of good corporate governance not holding and AGM or producing accounts.

Joe 90. I totally accept your superior knowledge on the matter. I did not know that you could extend out for example from 31/05/11 to 28/02/13 plus the 56 days for filing online. Does there have to be a reason given for this to be allowed as I can think of 1 or two companies that I have dealings with who would avail of this if they could. I have no financial qualifications.

Ok so AGM issues aside.

A company has an ARD Annual Return Date, this is the date that the company must file its Annual Return and accounts. In this case the ARD was 2 Nov 2011, accounts for 31 May 2011 were filed on 30 Nov 2011.

Then in 2012 the ARD was 2 Nov 2012 but as is the companies right it can apply to have the ARD extended by 6 months by filing a B1 and B73. By a strange coincidence a 28 Feb ARD is 9 months after 31 May, the companies existing year end.

Extending the ARD is possible for any company who have not used it in the previous 5 years. But the accounts must be for a date within 9 months of the ARD.

Hope that helps.

Anyone know anything about the rescheduled AGM (following Carlow AGM March 22 - no quorum) on Good friday?

Were accounts produced?

Did Brendan Burgess take the time and problem to turn up as he did in Carlow? if Brendan didn't i doubt any other member was there.

Anyone looking for a new job?

I get an email newsletter from Activelink which gives news and jobs in the NGO sector

The CAI is advertising for a Manager/Administrator - permanent job - no salary mentioned - the list of duties is extensive and one wonders what Dermot Jewell will do if the CAI finds the superman/woman required.

rather odd that the CAI is advertising a permanent job when it appears to be insolvent and they have let all the staff go except for Mr jewell

BudgetBrenda - I presume this is what you are referring to? Maybe the CAI is saying goodbye to its CEO?

Consumers' Association of Ireland: Manager / Administrator

The Consumers’ Association of Ireland (CAI) is a non-profit, NGO, established in 1966 and registered with Charitable status. The CAI produces, and derives the bulk of its income from, a monthly online magazine Consumer Choice for its subscribing members. The Association is governed by its Council which is elected from the membership.

The Consumers’ Association of Ireland is creating a new position and seeking to recruit a Manager/Administrator with business development and marketing skills and a strong focus on social media marketing and engagement who will grow the membership.

Ideal Key Skills & Experience
  • Previous management experience in a non-profit and independent organisation
  • An interest in issues affecting the consumer and their representation
  • Proven experience in online communications
  • Detailed knowledge of Social Media Channels such as Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, YouTube etc for business use with a good understanding of Social Media best practices.
  • Strong financial acumen to ensure that all financial targets are achieved.
  • Efficient financial management skills and reporting within agreed budget as approved by Council.
  • Strong analytical background and report writing skills
  • Self-motivated with ability to manage independently
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to manage a diverse workload and meet tight deadlines
  • Attention to detail
  • Highly organised
  • Ability to work under pressure and on own initiative

Candidates Responsibilities will include

• Manage the day-to-day operations of a busy office.
  • Contribute to magazine production, presentation documents, case studies and reports.
  • Produce monthly reports of sales and marketing efforts, making strategic recommendations on ways to improve and better integrate our overall marketing strategy and web activity.
  • Financial administration, payments, reconciliations and accounting reporting and co-ordination
  • Providing monthly finance reports and organising Council meetings
  • Deliver budgeted profit and turnover for account/s as agreed with Council
  • Assist in the production and delivery of a three-year plan for the Association
  • Actively seek and identify opportunities for business growth and key areas of interest to consumers to inform live changes to the CAI communications strategy and interactions
  • Managing member database, handling member correspondence and telephone queries
  • Managing external relationships
  • Developing fundraising strategies
  • Other duties to support the Associations’ business as and when required
  • The position will be permanent with a salary guided by previous experience and indicative of the financial capabilities of the NGO sector within which the association operates.

Applications by email to [email protected] or applications by post in confidence to be sent for the Attention of:
Dermott Jewell, CEO, Consumers’ Association of Ireland, 43-44 Chelmsford Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6.

Last receipt of applications accepted will be at 4.00 pm on Friday, April 19th 2013.

[broken link removed]

I doubt it somehow. But with that job spec what would be left for the CEO to do?

His shows on local radio stations, maybe?

I agree. With a superman/woman to do all those things what would he do? And what will this new person get paid - not even a hint of the salary!

Given that the CAI have let go all the staff (except for the CEO) presumably with only statutory redundancy, I cant understand why they are now advertising for a new staff member. Why not ask one of the staff let go to return if there is now enough money to pay someone?

If the AGM was held with no accounts then how will they be ratified? I thought they had to be passed by members?

The Directors approve the accounts, but they are presented to the AGM afaik, the implication being inf you are unhappy you can turf out the directors

just seen that last week CAI filed the resignations of 4 directors effective 28 march 2013.

Rats deserting the sinking ship....?

Would this get them out of personal liability for the debts of an outfit that doesn't seem to have been run to say the least in an open and transparent way?

Hi Brenda

I don't think so. I don't know the guys but I think that they have been serving for a very long time, so it's probably time for them to retire.

I assume that Raymond O'Rourke has taken over as Chairman.

I note that accounts have still not been filed.

Brendan

Hi Brenda

I don't think so. I don't know the guys but I think that they have been serving for a very long time, so it's probably time for them to retire.

I assume that Raymond O'Rourke has taken over as Chairman.

I note that accounts have still not been filed.

Brendan

Hi Brendan....from the CRO website is seems they were filed at the end of March.

Hi Calico

Good spot.

While the CRO file indicates that they were lodged on the 28 March, the auditors' report was signed on 23 April and the CRO stamp is 1 May i.e. today.

They were not there this morning, so I guess they put them up this afternoon.

Back