anyone for the last few e voting machines

clonboy

Government to sell them off, they want 55million of the pensioners and look at what they spent on these, and the storage of them,

keep an eye on donedeal id say

Government to sell them off, they want 55million of the pensioners and look at what they spent on these, and the storage of them,

You have to laugh really. Fine Gael & Labour had nothing to do with the purchase or storage of the e-voting machines yet you are having a go at their expense because they are doing the right thing and getting rid of them

The pensioner issue has no relevance here either

Your post should say - Current Government/Previous Government

You should be able to vote via the net.

Hand counting votes is too slow and expensive.

The e-voting machines worked - but people started looking for audit trails etc.

People even went on about magnets and sabotage.

Countless manual recounts is a poor system.

the problem with e-voting is it can be tampered with so people dont trust it, i know paper voting is slow but at least its fairly safe.

the problem with e-voting is it can be tampered with so people dont trust it, i know paper voting is slow but at least its fairly safe.

I don't believe that it could be tampered with. That was all just scaremongering IMO.

I knew it, in fact ah, howya Bertie!!

You have to laugh really. Fine Gael & Labour had nothing to do with the purchase or storage of the e-voting machines yet you are having a go at their expense because they are doing the right thing and getting rid of them

The pensioner issue has no relevance here either

Indeed, and they do not "want 55million of the pensioners", they want people to pay the taxes that they owe and that most people pay. Hardly an unreasonable position to take.

We need them

Bertie said four years ago we were a laughing stock of a country without them :(

Mr Ahern replied that he was embarrassed to watch the French presidential elections return a result within hours of polling booths closing.

He said: “You’re dead right. I must have felt embarrassed the other night when I watched over 80 million people have the result of their highest polls ever - over 85% – and have the result out in two hours.

“And that was only a few hours behind what India did. I had to go down to Co Meath the other day and apologise to the people of Meath for being a modern technologically-advanced country and one of the biggest exporters of software, that we’re going back to the pencils”.

Mr Ahern joked that with a bit of luck, the forthcoming General Election would probably be finished within five days.

“We’ll be still counting them, and checking the bins and the buckets to see if a vote blew off the pile.

“It is an embarrassment. I do hope that in the next Dáil that we’re able to rid ourselves of the horrendous difficulties we have in trying to be a modern country.”

I'm not happy about being a laughing stock.
E-voting machines for everyone I say :)

We need them

Bertie said four years ago we were a laughing stock of a country without them :(

I'm not happy about being a laughing stock.
E-voting machines for everyone I say :)

Good post. And Bertie did nothing to shame the nation at all....

What is difference between these machines and the French machines? or why did we not use the French system which is proven?

That's a great way to facilitate duress voting (where one domineering family member gets to direct the votes of others) and vote selling (where your friendly local politician drops in on election day, and gives you €50 for each vote he witnesses). But apart from that, I'd be interested to see what technology solution you propose that provides an verifiable vote counting process while simultaneously protecting the anonymity of the voter. How do you meet this two contradictory requirements?

Actually, the eVoting system required more manpower than the manual system. Each of the 7,000 machines required an dedicated operator to sit beside the machine all day on voting day, accepting tickets and enabling the vote for each voter, and resetting after each voter. This extra manpower more than outweighed the saving on vote counting.

What makes you think they worked? What gives you confidence that the votes entered on the machines match the count outcome? Did you see the test results for the parallel run tests done by the Dept which showed significant variances with the manual system? Did you see the reports from the Dublin City Returning Officer from the pilot test on the real election in 2002 that showed substantial numbers of missing votes?

Some people did. Others went on about the more obvious gaps in the system, like relying on an out-of-date version of MS Access to store the votes in the counting system. This would facilitate a simple 'heres-one-I-prepared-earlier' swap in of a database with a simple file copy.

I don't recall 'countless manual recounts' in any recent election. The number of recounts is very small, and only in the most exceptional of circumstances do these go on for more than a day.

Back