Anyone buy a TV from UK?

Bear in mind that there could be issues with the tuner in a UK set - e.g. may only do UHF and you may still need VHF in certain parts of Ireland.

If connecting to Sky/NTL/Chorus then the tuner is not an issue as all these use scart connections which dont use a tuner. My local retailer openly told us that some of their top end TVs are UK sourced because they cant get enough of them in Ireland. The tuner wouldnt put me off if you are not going to be using a set top aerial and the warranty stands up here.

The tuner wouldnt put me off if you are not going to be using a set top aerial and the warranty stands up here.
Fair enough but many people these days will use FTA satellite for the most part and then a set-top/attic/roof-top aerial for Irish analog terrestrial broadcasts and in some cases these may still be on VHF rather than UHF (depending on what your nearest transmitter is).

This is interesting - I didn't realise that there was a difference in the broadcast signals used in the two countries. Neither of our TV's, one bought in NI (5 year old portable) and the other bought in the UK (8 month old Samsung LCD) and imported have picked up a clear analogue signal since we moved here. I had assumed that we were just in a bad location - on the coastline on the slope of a hill - and decided not to worry about it as we had Sky anyway.

Television in Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Analogue television in both parts of Ireland uses System I with 625 lines and the PAL colour standard, with NICAM digital stereo sound where applicable. In the Republic both VHF and UHF are used but in Northern Ireland, in common with the rest of the UK, VHF is no longer used for analogue TV. VHF for TV transmission is slowly being phased out in Ireland - only RTÉ One and RTÉ Two are on VHF band III in some areas, and the more recently established stations (TV3 and TG4) have been only broadcast on UHF.
Also - some analog cable operators may still use VHF on the wire so a UHF only tuner would not receive these channels!

We had this problem with a UK TV also. You can buy a UHF to VHF converter, it costs about 100e or so, or alternatively if you have a video you can tune through it. Our video turns off automatically every 15 mins, a little annoying, but will stay on if you turn it off and then press the stop button for about 10 seconds for it to come on and display the word 'Tuner'. Might help you.

We had this problem with a UK TV also. You can buy a UHF to VHF converter
What use is that if the incoming signal (e.g. some analog terrestrial broadcasts, some cable channels etc.) is VHF and you need to convert to UHF (if possible)?
or alternatively if you have a video you can tune through it.
Yeah - we normally use ours like that so the TV is basically a "monitor" for the VCR, DVD etc.
Our video turns off automatically every 15 mins, a little annoying, but will stay on if you turn it off and then press the stop button for about 10 seconds for it to come on and display the word 'Tuner'.
Sounds odd. Maybe it's some configuration that got saved. What make and model?

I bought a 37" Samsung LCD from about 8 months ago. Seen the same model in argos 2 months later & it was over €400 more expensive than direct tvs. They are the same crowd that have the laptopsdirect.ie site. I think they are known as Easy Computers or something. Tv arrived with no problems although i did encounter a problem with a laptop i ordered from them. Their customer service wasn't exactly 100% but after a bit of persistence i got the issue sorted. So if you want to save some money i would recommend them for a big TV ( >= 32" that is). I'd also take a look at if you want a tv of 32" or less. They have some good bargains and competitive prices. They have a limited choice of tvs over 32".

Some tvs bought in the north are dual standard and are therefore fine, e.g. Beko tube tv at

Yes sorry that should have said VHF to UHF converter - head somewhere else. It's a Philip's Vid - apparently it's an energy saving function on it, quite common.

Why do you have to purchase a T.V. from the U.K ?

Much cheaper again in mainland Europe, ie. Germany.

Can you recommend any German websites for buying a TV?
The reason I was going to go with a UK website is because of fall of the pound from €1.47 to €1.32.

Can you recommend any German websites for buying a TV?
The reason I was going to go with a UK website is because of fall of the pound from €1.47 to €1.32.

It depends on what type of T.V. you are looking for ?

CRT ?
Plasma ?
LCD ?
What size ?
What features ?
What price range ?

Give me a basic run-down and I should be able to assist you.
I tried to purchase a T.V. pre-Christmas from the U.K (due to seemingly cheaper prices) but many were just as expensive due to high P+P costs) and alot simply would not ship to Ireland.

Looking for the Sony 37" LCD KDL-P3000. I can get it from komplett.ie for around €1040 including P&P so I'd appreciate any websites where I can get it for less than that. The grey version is about €150 cheaper but I don't really like it.

Back