Any way to lighten colour of cobblelock

dubgem

I have very dark coloured cobblelock (looks like dark grey or dark burgundy that has faded over time) over the entire front garden of my house. The area is north-facing and despite house and side-walls being painted white, the dark cobblelock makes it look very dull. Is there a way to bleach or stain or paint or do something to the cobblelock to lighten things up?

Bleach it, test it on an inconspicuous area and spray evenly using the same measured amounts of bleach to water, I've done this to sandstone, it takes a while but will get there.

Thanks Palerider. Can you be a bit more specific - just use household bleach mixed with water? What proportions would you suggest starting with? Also, I don't have a sprayer, could I just do it with a bucket and a yard brush?

You could also try this [broken link removed]- it's a cleaner, but with the added chlorine, it will lighten your paving. Follow instructions on the product in relation to the water mix.

In relation to just "bleach & water" - as Palerider mentioned - test it somewhere out of sight, the mix will be trial & error really, depending on how pale you want the cobbles. Bucket & yard brush would be ok for applying, a good work out scrubbing it in :) & rinse well with garden hose! Have you pets / kids - best to keep them off it until it's dried out.

30/70 bleach to water, buy a sprayer and wear old clothes, a bucket and brush will use too much bleach, pick a dry day.

Back