Any social support for my father?

VioletWex

Hi, I have a question about any social support for my father.
He is in Ireland since 2006.
Unfortunately he didn't work legally since then.
(he wants to but nobody gives him a conctract).
He registered as a self-employment since 2nd February 2010,and he works from time to time.
Now he is working 8 hours weekely in his friend's company.He is registered there since january 2011.
Could you please tell me if he can get any support from Social Welfare?
Thanks for any aswer.

How has he supported himself for the last 5 years in Ireland if he has only worked from time to time?

He should go along to his local Social Welfare Office and he will be means tested for any payment he might be entitled to. He should take his passport, PPS number and any supporting bank statements with him, he may also have to satisify the habitual resident condition.

They asked him the same thing when he was in SW.
He was working all that time but it was illegal work, not on contract.
Nobody wanted to register him.He didn't mind as long as he had job.

You mean he has already been to see SW? If so what, if anything, did they say that he was entitled to? Further to cashier's post he most likely will not qualify for any PRSI linked benefits if he has not been making contributions so he would have to apply for means tested assistance. Other than in relation to PRSI issues I'm not sure that SW care about past employment history but I could be wrong. Revenue would probably be interested particular if his work in the black economy gave rise to outstanding tax issues.

Back