Any recommendations for recruiters in the IT space ?

MrEarl

Hello,

A relative has decided it's time to try and find a new job, having worked in IT for over 15 years (with the same employer).

He seems to be good at his job, has a solid track record including a few promotions, has some IT qualifactions but has felt for quite some time that he's badly underpaid for what he does (has raised it with his employer a few times, but just got the runaround each time).

Having never looked for a job outside of his current company before, he's on a bit of a steep learning curve, so I was hoping I could offer him a few helpful tips.

Just wondering can anyone here suggest a few of the better IT recruiters that he should make contact with please ?

He's Dublin based and looking to stay working in Dublin, works as a service manager.

I've already got him lined up to go and meet with a trainer to get some interview practice, he has a CV done etc.

Many thanks,

Not sure if using a recruiter does give a lot of benefits to your relative. IT market is quite "hot" in Dublin, so many companies use their own internal recruiting teams which might give you a better response.
I still find that IT recruiters are too much hung up on buzzwords and not necessarily adding a lot of benefit. They are also very often not useful in terms of feedback on CV's.

I know in the case of my own employers( and American multinational) we will use agencies if we are doing a bulk recruitment drive but for "normal" day to day recruitment we trawl via LinkedIn and approach people directly to see if they are interested. Agencies are only used if that first effort doesn't succeed

I know in the case of my own employers( and American multinational) we will use agencies if we are doing a bulk recruitment drive but for "normal" day to day recruitment we trawl via LinkedIn and approach people directly to see if they are interested. Agencies are only used if that first effort doesn't succeed

I'd agree - in my experience a lot of companies do their best to avoid using agencies (clearly, not all, as otherwise they wouldn't exist).

It's probably worth looking at Websites like http://www.monster.ie/ and https://www.recruitireland.com/ Both have reasonable searches where you can search on particular skills etc. IT in Dublin is pretty buoyant if you're looking for something - Monster have 1000+ positions in the general IT category for Dublin for example.

I've no connection to either site by the way, other than as a user (as both candidate and recruiter).

Keep in mind that some agencies will post positions on these sites where they are just looking for CVs they can then forward on in a fairly random way. In my expecience, it's always best to deal direct if you can.

Hello,

Thank you all for your responses.

While the person intends to watch various employers and apply directly when opportunity presents itself, I think he just wants to cover off all of the basis and also, start getting into the mindset of someone looking for a new job, so have a few relevant conversations with strangers, learn whats going on in the market salary wise etc.

I would fully accept the points being made about recruiters and must admit on a personal level, I've had some very mixed experiences with them - both when looking for work and also, when seeking to recruit new staff. They really need to be regulated in some form, but thats for anther conversation :)

Back