Any problems with using NIB legal team to switch mortgage?

MCC

Hi,
I'm hoping to switch my mortgage to NIB LTV tracker shortly. They have offered to do the legal work or else give me €600 towards my own legal fees.

My solicitor gave me a figure of €950 approx (€510+VAT, outlays etc).

Do I need to get my own solicitor to do this (I have found them to be excellent to date) or am I wasting money?

Has anyone else used the NIB legal team? Any problems?
Thanks in advance.
MCC

You do not need to get your own solicitor to do this.

One small point: the "switcher" product may involve signing documents in front of a solicitor. The NIB "switcher" team will pay a solicitor for this, but it really is not worth his while. (I have done a few where clients of mine were using the 'switcher' type product and despite the blurb that I am 'only required to witness signatures' I have found myself effectively drawn into advising for free, opening a file etc. for something like €120).

If you like your solicitors and decide not to use them in this case, it would be polite not to go to them to get the 'switcher' documents witnessed either.

If you can get your solicitor to do all the legal work for €600 then use him otherwise take the free legals from NIB.

Remortgaging from one lender to another is a fairly standard process

Problems can occur, but the risk isn't any higher using them than if a regular solicitor handled it.

I agree with MOB though, if your solicitor is on the NIB signing panel it would be impolite to use him, go elsewhere

Back