Any possibility of getting a mortgage?

B

BazMeen

Just wondering whether anybody may be able to offer some advice on whether it would be possible for me to get a mortgage to build in my parents Garden. they have a very big garden which would easily fit a structure, however there is no side or rear enterance to the garden. It would be possible to get access from the rear in the future but obviously there is not much point in considering anything unless it would be possible to get the mortgage.

would I need to purchase the land from my father? Would I need to have my name on the deeds of my parents house and offer it as colateral? Or would none of these options make a difference?

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give. It seems an awful shame having the land sitting there doing nothing when It is perfectly suitable to build on.

Hi BazMeen,
I think you would need to see if planning permission is possible, before you could consider a mortgage or anything else. I don't know if you could get planning permission for a house with no access at all either. I don't know anything much about planning permission, but I'd imagine access would be a prerequisite.

Regards

Nicola

Hi a friend of mine is also seeking permission to build beside her parents house. She has tried several times before and been shot down, she needed to do percolation tests, get the land signed over to her from her dad, and have a separate entrance made. She also had to put in separate sewage treatment - this may not apply to you. She is building a 2700 sq ft 4 bed dormer so the size of the house will also impact the planners decision.

Stick in a planning appl for outline planning asap and they will come to inspect the site, you will most likely fail on a number of grounds but this will give you an idea of some (but not necessarily all) of their requirments. Talk to an engineer too then before making the second submission, or even before your first application.

One of the considerations is that in say years to come, if your parents house was sold, would your property be completely separate or if you wanted to sell could you without issue?

A couple of neighbours of my parents have built rather large granny flats in their parents back gardens - 2 bed decent little bungalows so not sure what applies here, with one shared entrance, but it seems to be a little more lenient. Their kids are using them as starter homes and I guess that the idea is that they may swop with the parents in a few years time.

Might be worth considering.

Hth

from previous experience, lack of access is a huge issue and needs to be sorted ASAP if you hope to build. If you don't have your own separate access and plan on using your parent's access as a kind of "joint" access you may well run into difficulty or refusal of planning application.

we had a similar-ish situation - a large site ie a field to the rear of a family members house was offered to us to build on but it had no road frontage, so we would have had to use the access of the family member's house to gain access to our proposed site. We gave up on the idea as it was proving unworkable.
Best bet is to make an appointment with a planning officer and outline your plans to see what they make of them and what recommendations they offer.

As to the mortgage question - your parents could gift you the land (or you could buy it, whatever arrangement you want to come to among yourselves), and providing everything else is in order (Ie you meet requirements for ability to repay etc) I don't see why a mortgage would be a problem to obtain - your father would sign the land over to you, you get planning permission (and your own access) and apply for the mortgage.

before you do anything,see the planning officer, then make an appointment with your bank manager, explain the idea you have to them, and they will be able to tell you if they can be in a position to offer you a mortgage (again with the caveat that all else you would need to qualify for a mortgage is in place).

Back