Any Hyundai experts out there?

NickyK

Hi,

I had a thread a while back regarding my 99 Accent. It starts up fine but after short journeys fails to start for no reason. It drives fine, always starts first thing but sometimes just wont start once it gets warmed up. It will be fine for a week or two and then just let you down. It will start again of it's own accord in anything from 5 mins to an hour.

I had the battery changed - made no difference. I just had it serviced and told the mechanic to have a look. He changed the fuel filter and battery connections. After that he said I'm maybe looking at a new fuel pump. It failed to start after I drove it for ten mins today.

I've looked online and it seems this is a common enough problem with these cars. Some people have changed the crankshaft position sensor and this seemed to do the trick. I have printed out some of the threads for the mechanic to have a look at. He will price the job for me.

Just wondering am I on the right lines with this and how much should I expect to pay?

Thnks,

Nicky

Does it make any sound when its wont start? Or is it totally dead? Is it an automatic by any chance?

No it's not dead at all. It sounds like it's about to start and then just doesn't at the last second. Lights, radio come on. It's not an automatic. It will normally start again within a few mins. Recently I drove to work (10 miles) parked the car, went to start it again and it wouldn't. Went out 2 hours later and it started and ran fine for a week or two.

Instead of just poking around in the dark, why not get someome with a scanner to download the information from the ECU (engine control unit), this should tell you very quickly if any of the engine sensors has failed, or did fail recently, as the failure will be logged.

Nowadays any mechanic worth his salt has at least one of these scanners.

When I looked it up online several people had tried scanners but the code wasn't showing. Some scanners were showing they weren't connected to a cat. But yes you're right, I will do it.

If it was turning over, who ecommended changing the battery? If it was the mechanic, might be time for a new mechanic.

Hey Leo. It's my wifes car. It has been like this for about 4 months. Because you never know when it's going to happen you can't exactly show it to a mechanic. My wife tried to explain what was wrong. The mechanic who changed the battery obviously hadn't seen the car when it wouldn't start so he just changed the battery believing that to be the problem. It was a different mechanic to the guy who serviced the car last week. As I said already it runs fine for a week or two so you think everything is ok then it won't start, but will start just fine after a short while.

I'm waiting for the local Hyundai garage to get back to me to arrange for the car to be scanned.

If it is the crankshaft sensor, any idea how much it will cost?

Nicky

You don't necessarily need to have the car in its failed state to get the codes. They are generally stored in the ECU and cleared after x no of engine starts. If there was a problem then the codes will be in the ECU. Any back street garage should read them for 20-30€
Ring your local Motor Factor for a price of the sensor.
I had a similar issue with a BMW and spent a lot of money swapping parts that werent bad. It eventually turned out to be a €20 temperature sensor.

When its in the failed condition does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on? (just lights on the dash not cranking on the starter). You need to try and find out whats failing, ignition spark or fuel pump or Both. If the crank angle sensor (cas) is failing both fuel and sparks will be missing as the ECU doesn't know the engine is turning. This is most likely to be the culprit. It should flag a code in the ECU. Don't start changing parts willy nilly, get the ECU scanned for fault codes. I had an intermittent fault on my Octavia recently and had myself convinced it was the air flow meter. Got it scanned and it was the accelerator pedal that was faulty.

Hey Leo. It's my wifes car. It has been like this for about 4 months. Because you never know when it's going to happen you can't exactly show it to a mechanic. My wife tried to explain what was wrong. The mechanic who changed the battery obviously hadn't seen the car when it wouldn't start so he just changed the battery believing that to be the problem.

Any decent mechanic knows how to test a battery, you don't have to wait until it doesn't start, you just measure voltage across the terminals before and after starting.

A high discharge tester will give the most accurate result on your battery's condition. It's a hard test and could sound the death knell for your battery but better to know for sure if its a goner. This current cold spell has killed a few battery's.

Brought the car in for diagnostics. No codes showed up. I had told the mechanic what was happening and what I thought it might be. He simulated the conditions and the car failed to start yet started first time once cooled. He took out the sensor which was corroded, cleaned it up and said to try it for a few weeks. If there's no improvement I'll need a new one. Cost €30 for scan and possibly €40 for sensor.

Thanks for your help.

Nicky

He took out the sensor
Mind me asking which sensor this was? as i'm having a similar problem with a toyota. Starts first time even on the coldest morning of the year but drive to a fuel station and fill up and it doesn't want to know when i try to set off again.

Back