Any good movies out at the moment?

Saw Rambo 4, very disappointed and a bit sickened, it was overly gory, ott and very stereotypical. Couldn't recommend it.

I am legend was well shot, but when you enjoy the grit and acting of 28 Days it's jsut a vehicle for Will Smith, and as with a previous poster, the best actor in it was the dog, and the saddest scene, well, it involves the dog.

Cloverfield keeps the interest, is strange and like a poorly constructed kebab, ends up all over your shoes and leaves you unsatisfied. I hype terms it's far ahead of Blair Witch, and far more worthy, but I;d wait to see it on DVD. Good story line in parts - better to see with a nice bottle of vino and a pizza.

Charlie Wilsons War is a surprise, and great acting. I know Julia Roberts was slammed, but I think she's good, and Hanks is real, very real. I can't think of the agent actor, who plays the CIA link, he's very good and while he hams it up, he's perfectly cast.

Lions for Lambs is slow moving and not really doing anything. I was disappointed as it has a great cast. Ditto for Michael Clayton, just a little too dry.

Walk Hard is worth a look and is very funny at points, and a good send up of earnest bio-pics.

For anyone interested in the Nightwatch series of movies, Duskwatch, the 3rd part, is due out at the summer's end. It promises to be quite different and not so Russian, and inside word is that it'll outshine the first two.

Last edited:
This came out quite some years ago, but I saw 'A Clockwork Orange' for the first time the other night and really enjoyed it. Worth renting if you've never seen it and fancy a classic.

I saw that film years ago and it totally messed my head up for ages, it was weird.

just wondering as a girl that is 32 would No Country for old men be suitable to go to with my Dad? :D Don't want to be sitting thru any embarrassing scenes with him.

and I took my mother to "Over her dead Body" last night and it it was not good! I wouldn't recommend it :rolleyes:

just wondering as a girl that is 32 would No Country for old men be suitable to go to with my Dad? :D Don't want to be sitting thru any embarrassing scenes with him.

It's violent but there are no "scenes of a sexual nature" if that's what you mean. One 'reference' maybe.

Saw Juno last week and I have to say, we really enjoyed it...very witty & the music is fab. It is about a teenage girl who gets pregnant, but it not a high-school movie or chick flick. Well worth a trip....believe it's tipped for Oscars (unusual for a comedy)

Watched a pretty decent film at the weekend called The Bucket List.Pretty good story and good acting from Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.No violence,shooting,stabbing,explosions,car chases,nudity or bad language.How did they manage it.It'll never catch on.

Recently watched The Assassination of Jesse James ....

Really enjoyed it. Great performances by the two leading characters.

No sympathy for you !!;)

What did you expect?

Ah come on, I was trying to relive a long lost childhood and thought it might be decent like Rocky 6, but instead I witnessed exploding heads, bullets ripping through bodies and nonsensical semi-religious dialogue. Still, it didn't cost anything.

Stallone claims he converted (returned?) to the Christian faith during the filming of "Rocky Balboa". True or not, I thought that film was particularly good. (compared to the usual stinker pollution that blows our way from the Hollywood smokestacks)

It's likely that he may have had some good intentions behind Rambo 4.

But I suspect a grunting cartoon character unleashing mass slaughter in videogame shooter mode probably isn't the best way to get a serious point across. :rolleyes:

Anyone see 3:10 to Yuma. The western with Russell Crowe & Christian Bale? Just wondering if anyone thought the same about the ending as I did - it sucked!

Yes - thought it was good up to then though.

It was a case of "Don't tell me he's going to....he is" :rolleyes:

If you can read then I suggest getting, "The Lives of Others" out of Xtravision (subtitled).

Very very good.

I only joke about the 'reading' bit because any time I rent a subtitled film in my local Xtravision the counter staff always say "you know that has subtitles" (plus they have taken to putting big SUBTITLED stickers on the front of the boxes).

When I respond with "yeah its ok I can read" they often say how many people complain that they weren't told that a film had subtitles!!

Is society dumbing down or what?

I heard on the radio the other day that cinemas are informing patrons that Sweeney Todd is a musical when they purchase their tickets because people are walking out when they realise it's not a horror flick!

Have to day I do HATE musicals myself

Have to day I do HATE musicals myself

Thats a huge sweeping statement. There have been so many wonderful musicals of all genres over the years. Everything from The Wizard of Oz to Rocky Horror. From Grease to Little Shop of Horrors.
Have to say i'm a Rocky Horror fan myself - used to love the odd Fridays in Harolds X.
Odd being the word...

Back